WAG backhandspring help? video?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Looks like a few little things could use some work.
1. you're not sitting back. you are sitting straight down. Sitting back as if you're falling onto the couch gives you a bit more speed.
2. your knees are going forward when you jump a little. This also slows the skill down
3. You are sticking your head out
4. when your hands are about to hit the ground, think Handstand-snap down and start to snap a little earlier. This will take some force off your hands
5. You are doing them in the yard :)

You're trying harder to get upside down than you are trying to jump in a backwards and up motion. Look at the video frame by frame ans watch the backside of your hips. During the very end of your sit and a the start of your push, your hips are even with the window to the left of the entry to the house in the background The next motion you see is your hips moving forward and up, so your bhs ends up going upside down "in place" and puts you into a handstand with no remaining energy to move you through the block and stepout.

Try to gradually push back more and turn your head over slightly slower. There should be a brief moment where you can see what you're jumping away from, so it may help to look forward until you start your jump, and concentrate on jumping away from what you see in front of you because, if you really think about it, you can't jump to something...... rather you can jump away from something, and end up somewhere opposite the spot you jumped away from.

Not throwing your head back and snapping your feet down are two main points I can pick up on.

On a side note. Anyone know how to start a new thread?

Feel the fall, sit and fold, jump and extend, snap down.

Feeling the fall is the critical point to create backward momentum. I generally pull a gymnasts/tumbler backwards to initiate this or push their hip backward.

Snapdown seems way slow though. If it's not a technique because of the lack of backward momentum, I would say do about zillion leg lifts lying on floor or hanging from a bar until they are super fast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back