WAG Backwalkovers on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When I do a lot of backwalkovers on beam, like 20 minutes or so, my lower back starts to hurt. I've heard that I shouldn't be using my lower back to do the skill, so what can I focus on to avoid making it hurt? Could this actually be some sort of injury that I need to see a doctor for, or is it just an issue with my technique?

you should be arching at your shoulder blades or where your bra strap goes across. you should stop if your lower back starts to hurt. and no, you probably don't need a Doc just yet. if you don't do the 2 things i've suggested then you might need to. :)

My DD has this same problem....her coach has told her it has to do with flexibility in her upper back (she needs to be more flexible)....but not sure how to accomplish that...I will be following this for her since she is too young to have an account yet... :(

No advice but chiming in because my dd hasn't got a lot of back/shoulder flexibility and her back sometimes hurts on beam as well. Her coaches get her to stop when it begins to hurt, and have said that next year will be fine because she will no longer have to compete the back walkover any more.

After beam she rolls out her back which helps.

Any ideas on how to force yourself to arch your upper back instead of your lower back? I've always been hypermobile in my lower back and managed to develop a stress fracture due to repeatedly bending in the wrong place because that's what was the easiest. I find it easier to bend properly in front walkovers because I can focus on pushing through my shoulders, but have no clue how to do this upper back bending you speak of :rolleyes:

Any ideas on how to force yourself to arch your upper back instead of your lower back?

You don't just want to hinge in one place. Think about your spine, you want to start by bending from the top vertebrae all the way down in order so that the bend is gradual and evenly spaced to spread the load (also use shoulders!). Another way to think about it... Perhaps try this with a back limber first for more stability. Stand tall and press your arms behind your ears, as you bend back think about making each part of your body the tallest. So first your finger tips, then your elbows, then the top of your head, then your forehead, then your nose, then you chin, then your throat, then your upper chest, then your belly button, then your hip, have you reached the ground yet? Of course coming back up is the reverse.

Last edited:
Stand tall and press your arms behind your ears, as you bend back think about making each part of your body the tallest. So first your finger tips, then your elbows, then the top of your head, then your forehead, then your nose, then you chin, then your throat, then your upper chest, then your belly button, then your hip, have you reached the group yet? Of course coming back up is the reverse.

Exactamundo!

20 minutes of backwalkovers?! That would make my back go crack!
Make sure to stop if your back begins hurting. Instead of starting the back walkovers by bending your lower back right away, let your hands, arms, shoulders guide you backwards. Keep your front leg going up with your arms.

If your back pain starts to come as soon as you do a skill, not just a while after, would be a good idea to go visit the doctor, though.

Reach up (this allows for the shoulders to open more)
Reach back (this way you arch from the top down instead of the bottom up)
Look for where to put your hands (technically the head going back may not be preferred for some folks but this should be done with control. i.e. don't just fling the head back.) Try keeping the shoulders as open as possible. This makes the skill far easier.

If it starts to hurt, stop doing the skill. Your body is telling you that you've done enough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back