Bar - Brush/Hit on Floor v. Fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
I am taking the L 5/6 judges exam in a couple weeks and had a few quick questions based on things I've seen a couple girls on DD's team do. First, a number of them "hit" the floor after their clear hip. I'm thinking this would be a .3 deduction (brush, touch or hit on floor). Most of them just kind of tap the floor, but there's one in particular that seems to almost push off the floor with her foot. In order to be a fall, does there have to a stop in momentum or a full foot down? [Aside - DD says she can't understand why they do it because it slows the momentum.]

Also, if the girls perform a layout instead of a salto flyaway, do the hips still need to be at bar height when they release? It seems logically to be yes, but I would think the legs would appear way above the bar on the layout and I just don't see that much (at least with 6s -- some of the optionals are way above the bar).

Finally, in the layout flyaway, DD is always told to be careful not to arch. She asked me why the girls at World's were clearly arching while doing the double layout dismounts. I have no idea how to answer. Is arching a layount dismount a deduction for L6/7 gymnast, but not when done with higher skills (DD says it looks more like a whip)? Thanks!

I will start by saying that these are all good questions, but none of it you need to worry about for the 5/6 judging test.

I typically consider a fall when the gymnast bears weight on her feet...so a brush or tap isn't bearing weight.

The deduction you are referring to regarding the flyaway is insufficient rise of the salto. It actually doesn't apply to when they let go of the bar, but rather the salto rises after release. It would be the same for all flyaway shapes.

An arch in a double layout is an acceptable technique for that skill. However, it is not an acceptable technique for the L6 layout flyaway.

Good luck on your test and let us know how it goes!!

My DD is one who taps the floor when going into her 2nd kip after the clear hip. She has been told that it is considered a fall or .5 deduction. We are in Missouri but not sure if that makes a difference or not. She also is the only one doing the layout flyaway. She is piking a little bit but not arching. Would that also be considered a deduction?
Good luck on your test!!
I am looking forward to hearing the responses to your questions as they apply to exactly what my DD is doing.

She is piking a little bit but not arching.
I will defer completely to Gympanda and the coaches, but the code of points calls for a hollow body position on the layout so I'm sure a pike is a deduction (probably up to .2 based on the degree of pike). My DD is now piking a little as well on the layout (she was arching and now is over compensating).

"I typically consider a fall when the gymnast bears weight on her feet ... ."

So Gympanda, if there appears to a push from the floor, would you consider that bearing weight?

My hats off to all judges out there. I know experience and repetition helps, but there's a lot to think about and not necessarily easy guidelines for some of the form or performance deductions that carry an "up to" range.

We use FIG judging requirements in Australia (different to the USA), but hitting feet on the floor is definitely considered a fall here and it is a whole 1.0 deduction. Brushing feet on floor is 0.5 deduction. Hitting feet on the apparatus is 0.5, and brushing feet on the apparatus is 0.3.

A teammate of mine brushed her feet on the floor in her kip very slightly at competition once (it barely even registered with her that it had happened) and the judges counted it as a fall - taking a full 1.0 deduction. We all thought this was a bit extreme considering she is only level 4 and it didn't affect her kip at all. Hopefully this isn't the norm. I think a 0.3 or 0.5 deduction is much more reasonable. Good luck on the test!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back