Bar Routine Endurance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are some good things to do to improve bar endurance? By the time dd has done her shootever and hiccup to high bar she is already tired and her blind change front giant looks really sloppy, and then her dismount is not as high as it usually is. Her coach has them doing a lot of cardio, but it doesn't seem to be helping her bar endurance.

At our daughter's gym they do a lot of bar specific strength work and conditioning where they are actually doing repetitions on the bars [and some rope climbing things too]. They also do repetitions of their routines and get used to doing skills when they aren't fresh. I did worry about this a little because of her rhabdo history but they worked up to this over time and she seems to have done fine with it. Bars are also her favorite so I think she probably does a little extra here just because it's fun [and that probably helps with endurance].

rope climbs and sets like 5 kip cast handstands in a row on the low bar in a row then immediate squat on then long hang kip to handstand then 5 giants in a row to flyaway. it's called a mini routine. 5 up and downs on the low bar then 5 giants to dismount.

advanced cardio would be 5 free hip to handstands on the low bar in a row then immediate squat on then 5 giants swings in a row to flyaway.

very advanced would be the same as above but add 5 long hang kips to handstand before the 5 giants to flyaway. this kid of set with over 15 elements is used when the dismount is very advanced like double lay out, full out, etc;

Dunno hit it right on target. Complexes.

Slower heart rate cardio won't really do much for the high intensity needed for a routine. An aerobic cardiovascular base is necessary for anaerobic work (which virtually gymnastics lives in predominantly especially apparatus besides BB).

LMV, I have never heard of a rhabdo case in gymnastics but I suppose it is possible. Interesting.

While getting strong is helpful, pure strength only has so much carryover to routines.

You get in shape in routines by doing routines. It's pretty much as simple as that.

Dunno,
Yes, that is what I was not explaining very well. They do sets of connected elements for part of their bar conditioning. They also do some different rope things interspersed with this or before or after or both.

Blair,
She developed rhabdomyolysis as the result of blunt force trauma which didn’t occur in the gym. However, she has some chronic renal issues as a result of this and the concern is that she probably has a predisposition to rhabdo in situations of heavy exertion [especially if superimposed on dehydration or malnutrition] so we had some real concerns about her returning to gymnastics at all. It probably doesn’t help that I am a physician so I know all of the worst case scenarios.

However, I’m not her physician, I’m her mom and I recognize that she really does love just being in the gym and swinging bars. For this reason, we have worked with her pediatrician, the pediatric nephrologist, and the coaches at her gym to find a way to let her return and without taking large risks with her health. We ultimately restricted hours at around fifteen/week because the labs did trend up when we let her try to do a little more than that. This is less than standard for first year L10 at her gym but her coaches are working with it because there really isn’t another safe option and as her mom I won’t let her do anything I think isn’t safe.

Ahh, gotcha now as I have heard of cases of rhabdo from blunt injury. That makes sense. Recovery from rhabdo is a long drawn out circumstance from what I have read. I imagine for 6 months to a year she will just not be back to where she was. Long, slow road to recovery and all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back