WAG Bars... How can a Host Team NOT realize...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The falls that were worrisome were L6-9 (Optionals). Like the L6 that flew over the bar on a clear hip and ended up (miraculously) catching the bar with one hand... or the level 9 that was doing an intentional release and her hands slipped and she landed flat on her stomach. i am checking my video to see if I have a clear shot of the bars.

Clear hip on the low bar or baby giant on the high bar? Sometimes kids just fall. It might have nothing to do with the bars.

The falls that were worrisome were L6-9 (Optionals). Like the L6 that flew over the bar on a clear hip and ended up (miraculously) catching the bar with one hand... or the level 9 that was doing an intentional release and her hands slipped and she landed flat on her stomach. i am checking my video to see if I have a clear shot of the bars.
==
Then yes, level 9's should have rails that are parallel to each other! But falls are pretty standard this early for level 9's.

Clear hip on the low bar or baby giant on the high bar? Sometimes kids just fall. It might have nothing to do with the bars.
She was doing a clear hip on the high bar because she had slipped off the bar on her low bar clear hip and didn't wanna lose the start value.

And i looked to see if I had a good pic of the bars in my videos... no such luck... and Luckily, both of my gymmies made it through safely.

We have competed in one club this year a few times that numerous kids have peeled off the high bar until they have done it and learnt where to adjust to to miss the really slippery bits.
Luckily usually they realise it in the warm up. Though remember one kid called to the coach to catch her when she thought she was going to fly.

.....when you tighten and pull the cables up more on one side the bars will APPEAR to be uneven, well,, its an illusion....

That is why sometime they appear to be straight during the meet and sometimes not. Happens and really the only time this will give a gymnast problems is when they are doing high low or low high releases (optionals).OR when someone makes an issue of it....

......kids need to adapt at each meet and it's the coaches responsibility to teach that in the gym..... This sport is really mental and creating mental toughness in dealing with issues or non issues is often what sets champions apart from each other.

Very well said. Mental toughness, or flexibility if you prefer, is a huge part of having a good day as a gymnast, or a student, or.... whatever.

Confidence is in the eye of the beholder.

==
Then yes, level 9's should have rails that are parallel to each other! But falls are pretty standard this early for level 9's.

Yeah, that and landing flat on stomach is standard for releases. That's the correct way to miss, not a scary. Go to any level 9 or 10 meet where kids do a same bar release and I guarantee a dozen kids will do it. Not unusual at all.

Very well said. Mental toughness, or flexibility if you prefer, is a huge part of having a good day as a gymnast, or a student, or.... whatever.

Our coaches have been intentionally working this mental side of the sport with our compulsory gymnasts this season. They have made them practice on different bar settings and on the different beams in the gym. The mental side to this sport is so huge and the littlest things can get under a kid's skin.

I'm not saying there wasn't a real issue with the bars in this example. It sure sounds like a scary scenario and you know best what is within the normal range for falls and accidents with your gymnasts. Over the years, we've actually been to two different meets where the bars basically fell down while girls were competing on them. And these meets were taking place within each host gym's training facility, so they were their regular bars and not a set that was brought in just for the meet. Luckily, no girls were hurt. Sometimes equipment issues are very real and other times it is a mental issue that kids need to learn to deal with.

Ok, I can respond to 2 things
1. crooked bars. I will get them straight before my kid touches them. Period.
2. Chalky bars. If there is too much chalk on the bar, I carry a green scrubbing pad and can remove all of the chalk off the bar or just some of it if I choose. I can also put a wet pasty mess of chalk and water on the bar if I want. It is my kid's turn and the bars will be set for them. I can change it for the next kid as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back