WAG Bars Vent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
I went to a high school meet the other day and I need to vent about something I've seen more and more often in the past few years. These kids are doing everything they can to throw more advanced skills on bars that look HORRIBLE to increase their start value. Sadly, they seem to be rewarded for their efforts instead of the girls who do less difficult routines but with much better form and control.

**steps off soap box**

The way the scoring system is set up, it encourages bigger skills for a higher start value. You even see it at the Olympics. The artistry is not be rewarded as heavily, as a big skill, so it is becoming less important.

I saw a meet like that a while back myself...girls who were *crawling* up on their stomachs doing kips (like the same way a tiny L5 would do on the high bar at an early in the season USAG meet) were throwing high bar down to the low bar release moves w/ atrocious and downright dangerous form! I was just shocked. And yes, they were definitely rewarded for this at awards. Same deal on the other events as well.

It was so painful to watch and made me appreciate the USAG progressions and requirements so much more...

I've personally never been to a highschool gymnastics meet as my state does not have highschool gymnastics (Wish they did!!) But a neighboring state does and we get highschool teams at our open gym sometimes and it's the same with vault!! Some girls are throwing flipping vaults WAYYY before they are ready. Most land on their knees and a few are pretty darn close to their stomachs and heads!!! Scary!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back