Beginner in a truly amazing sport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

I am a beginner gymnast, I have been dong gymnastics for a month and a week. I practice skills every other day on my own and I work out every day to keep in shape. I have wanted to do gymnastics since I was a little kid but never had the means to. Now I pay for it myself and am completely devoted. I love it!!! I know I probably wont be in competitions or anything like that, but I'm not doing this to win medals or trophies; I'm doing this because I love the sport and want to see what I can do in it. I hope that makes sense.
I don't have any favorite skills yet.. I have been practicing a round-off back handspring and I just did my first back tuck this last Monday. So I have a ways to go before I can pick which skill is my favorite. Any tips about anything are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

First of all, welcome to the chalk bucket! You have a great attitude about the sport and why you are doing it. I wish everyone thought like that! And wow, you are a beginner and already doing back tucks? Actually, I'm not sure if that's a good idea... Are the coaches spotting you and teaching you, or are you doing them by yourself? Also, if you are working skills at home, make sure you are doing them the right way, because it's easy to develop bad habits that will be hard to correct in the long run if you are teaching yourself. But you seem very motivated and dedicated, and that will take you far in a sport like this. And you are right, it is a truly amazing sport! :D

I'm doing because it takes strength, determination, trust and I have to work hard at it. Plus, the first time I ever stepped foot in a gym I knew that's a place I wanted to be.

As far as I know I am practicing everything right.. Just cartwheels and round offs for now.. I'm focusing a lot on form and remembering everything my coach has taught me.. However handstands are quite tricky and I am almost positive my form sucks. But I am still in the "rely on the wall so I wont fall" phase right now.

I am motivated and dedicated, and I am truly passionate about this sport :) That's why I decided to join this forum.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back