Gymnasts Amazing practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's great! Imo feel free to brag as much as you want, you work hard at practise so it's great when things work out. And I don't know about other people, but I love hearing about positive stuff and just other people's training alone. And you can be very proud of what you've achieved!

On a sidenote, I actually sometimes think about posting a little brag here about what I've achieved in practise cause lately I've been kind of proud, and people around me don't understand gymnastics. I've actually considered making a little gymnastics blog or sth just so I can ramble about this kind of thing

Exactly!!!!! Even my parents don't know what I'm talking about, let alone anyone else

Thats a great idea! Sounds like smth I'd enjoy too (although im not a big fan of writing)
I actually did it for now :). (Figured I can always back out if I'm not happy with it)

I shared the website here, but I am a bit hesitant about it coupling my name to it which I can't fix immediately right now... Let me know if you're interested in reading it though :).

Also, on a kind of related note, do you know what the gymnast groups on this forum are like? I haven't joined them because I'm not a level anything gymnast (different country). Do people like just chat there or is it more a forum like this?

Last edited:
Let me know if you're interested in reading it though :).
Ooh yes I'd love to!
Also, on a kind of related note, do you know what the gymnast groups on this forum are like? I haven't joined them because I'm not a level anything gymnast (different country). Do people like just chat there or is it more a forum like this?
The groups are only for parents of gymnasts as far as I know... so I haven't requested to join them..

That was a fun to read blog! I'd expect mine (if I ever wrote on) to be of similar diction haha
Haha, I really prefer writing like this. I can also write very formally, but that doesn't make for fun reading.

If you ever do make a blog, feel free to share it.
Also, I made all these subscribe/notification options but I have no idea how they work. This is like the eight website I've worked on and I've never had to do anything with notifications.

On a sidenote, I saw on the rose-thorn-bud thread that you're working on cast handstands and giants. (You have a very memorable username, I'm a big harry potter fan). When my rib heals up I'll also go back to working on them, so if you have any useful tips let me know :). (I'm doing strap bar giants with tube-straps, and I aaaalmost got them around before the summer holliday. We dont have gymnastics in the holliday and then my rib went out... I'm nowhere near cast handstand tho, I do a closed cast to like 10* above horizontal.)

If you ever do make a blog, feel free to share it.
of course!
Also, I made all these subscribe/notification options but I have no idea how they work. This is like the eight website I've worked on and I've never had to do anything with notifications.
ah, I didn't subscribe yet cuz my inbox is too full haha. If you want to test it out, i can subscribe and let you know if I'm getting emails? Lmk!
(You have a very memorable username, I'm a big harry potter fan).
omg yes i was obsessed with harry potter when i made this account. Still am, but not crazy to the point that I read fanfics, look at fan art, make harry potter art etc all day haha.
When my rib heals up I'll also go back to working on them, so if you have any useful tips let me know :). (I'm doing strap bar giants with tube-straps, and I aaaalmost got them around before the summer holliday.
Ooh thats fun! I'm at the almost point too on the strap bar. Kinda sucks cuz ive been at the almost handstand point for a few weeks and I feel like I don't know what to do to actually get over... the coaches just said to bring my arms closer (I prefer them wide haha) and to hollow as long as possible in the back swing (tap/arch only within 20-30° of directly under the bar)
(PS: not sure what tube straps are but we have like a pvc pipe thing and you have loops that you can strap on so you dont fling off).
We dont have gymnastics in the holliday and then my rib went out..
sorry to hear about your rib though, hope it heals really soon!!
I'm nowhere near cast handstand tho, I do a closed cast to like 10* above horizontal.)
Ah its okay, I've always been good at press handstands so cast handstands kinda came naturally. Also my closed cast is also around that high so don't worry about it. Both leg together handstand is way harder than straddle leg handstand (at least for me and most of my teammates)

Sorry for the long reply lol

of course!

ah, I didn't subscribe yet cuz my inbox is too full haha. If you want to test it out, i can subscribe and let you know if I'm getting emails? Lmk!

omg yes i was obsessed with harry potter when i made this account. Still am, but not crazy to the point that I read fanfics, look at fan art, make harry potter art etc all day haha.

Ooh thats fun! I'm at the almost point too on the strap bar. Kinda sucks cuz ive been at the almost handstand point for a few weeks and I feel like I don't know what to do to actually get over... the coaches just said to bring my arms closer (I prefer them wide haha) and to hollow as long as possible in the back swing (tap/arch only within 20-30° of directly under the bar)
(PS: not sure what tube straps are but we have like a pvc pipe thing and you have loops that you can strap on so you dont fling off).

sorry to hear about your rib though, hope it heals really soon!!

Ah its okay, I've always been good at press handstands so cast handstands kinda came naturally. Also my closed cast is also around that high so don't worry about it. Both leg together handstand is way harder than straddle leg handstand (at least for me and most of my teammates)

Sorry for the long reply lol
Don't worry about the long replies, it's really not that long to read.
I think if I want to test the subscribing/email thing, it'd be easiest if I do it myself, then I can see what works and retry and stuff without having to message back and forth if there are issues. I've just not taken the time to do that yet...

For Harry Potter: kind of the same. I was obsessed in high school, but it's died down a bit. I still like it, I sometimes do stretches while watching/listening to somebody who's reading harry potter for the first time on youtube. But other than that I usually like to keep my 'geeky' stuff and my gymnastics stuff separate.

For the cast, I definitely don't have a press handstand. It's honestly already surprising how strong I am. I only started gymnastics 2 years ago, and I was still underweight when I started (or a year before I started, I don't remember that well). So ye in the 2 years of recovering muscle I'm already proud I got a pullover from still hang, but the press handstand has eluded me (also, shoulder injury slowed down progress...). In the cast itself, I just don't understand how you'd straddle up. I can spread my legs, but that doesn't help me get my hips above the bar, it just makes me do a weird ugly spread-close cast that makes my coach wonder what I'm even doing.

For the strap bar, with pipe I meant the PVC thing. We can also use gloves and straps, which is a bit closer to the real bars movement I think because you have to shift your wrists. However, I find the feeling of the gloves terrifying in giants because I feel like I'll slip off even though I won't. I actually think I find the back swing easier, I've found myself holding back so I don't go over the bar the wrong way lol. Also, I have the exact opposite problem with the arms: I have to pay attention with my kip cause I used to put my arms so close and then I couldn't cast well because my hands are in the way.

Also, I hope you don't mind the long message either because this also got long.

I think if I want to test the subscribing/email thing, it'd be easiest if I do it myself, then I can see what works and retry and stuff without having to message back and forth if there are issues. I've just not taken the time to do that yet...
Oh yeah that probably makes more sense
For the cast, I definitely don't have a press handstand.
Honestly it took a while to get. I don't have it from a straddle on floor yet but I can do it from standing...
It's honestly already surprising how strong I am. I only started gymnastics 2 years ago, and I was still underweight when I started (or a year before I started, I don't remember that well). So ye in the 2 years of recovering muscle I'm already proud I got a pullover from still hang, but the press handstand has eluded me (also, shoulder injury slowed down progress...).
Oh wow! Thats really good! And you're on to giants and stuff in just 2 years - thats impressive! Hope your injuries get better soon!
In the cast itself, I just don't understand how you'd straddle up. I can spread my legs, but that doesn't help me get my hips above the bar, it just makes me do a weird ugly spread-close cast that makes my coach wonder what I'm even doing.
what i would start with is some shoulder strength drills and when you feel ready, do a pike cast where you try to get your hips on top of the bar in a pike position. This helps reinforce the idea of hips up first then straddle to get to handstand. Do you get what I mean?
For the strap bar, with pipe I meant the PVC thing. We can also use gloves and straps, which is a bit closer to the real bars movement I think because you have to shift
That makes sense. I tried it on pit bar (a high bar over pit) with a coach once and the only thing I struggled with was the wrist shift (which resulted to me closing my shoulder angle)... so I guess that will help you! (I know you probably can't just try it with a coach without having it down on ur own on strap but b/c im light and a kid my coach helped me haha)
I've found myself holding back so I don't go over the bar the wrong way lol.
omg this is why I don't start my giant in a handstand - I'm scared of falling over even though I know im strapped in with straps..
Also, I hope you don't mind the long message either because this also got long
Lol not at all, I enjoy reading these

Oh wow! Thats really good! And you're on to giants and stuff in just 2 years - thats impressive! Hope your injuries get better soon!
Thanks! Honestly, I'm on to giants because a year ago I said "I want to learn giants" and they just said swing on the strap bar and said swing a lot and it got better over time. The one I'm proudest of is actually my kip and my toe shoot to high bar, though. When I started learning kip was a few months after I started gymnastics and I kind of thought I was crazy for trying. But I wanted a challenge and it was the most achievable challenge I could think of. Took me a few months (honestly it took me until I happened to have a different coach and they gave me a tip for my glide and bam it clicked and I had it). But since then I'd lost it several times (every time I accidentally lost weight I lose my kip - duh, kips need energy). Now it's quite consistent usually, and I can even do a decently high cast and skill out of it. wow I went on a kip rant there, woops. (PS. My bars is an outlier, I train 1.5hr a week and I often spend at least 0.5-1 hr of that on bars lol. my vault is far behind)
what i would start with is some shoulder strength drills and when you feel ready, do a pike cast where you try to get your hips on top of the bar in a pike position. This helps reinforce the idea of hips up first then straddle to get to handstand. Do you get what I mean?
Yeah, I get what you mean. Thanks so much for the advise. By the way, why pike and not straddle with the hips over the bar? I actually did a similar drill a bit ago with straddle to feet just above bar - fall forward. But I think honestly my hips were still kinda low in that so I am definitely gonna focus on the hips next time, thanks! I was also thinking of practising straddle to handstand from elevated plank position as well.
That makes sense. I tried it on pit bar (a high bar over pit) with a coach once and the only thing I struggled with was the wrist shift (which resulted to me closing my shoulder angle)... so I guess that will help you! (I know you probably can't just try it with a coach without having it down on ur own on strap but b/c im light and a kid my coach helped me haha)
Actually, my coach can spot me. He teaches adults and mixed gender, so he spots people a lot heavier than me, lol. However, first of all he prefers I get over the bar on my own strength at least for strap bar. But also I don't like being spotted as much. The first time I actually managed my flyaway was when I was allowed to a resi pit(?) without spot, because being spotted just made it feel all crowded. But anyway, we don't have a pit bar, we only have uneven bars above a massive resi mat/pit thing. This gym is new and I think they went for more resi-mats and less foam pits (we have 1 foam block pit) because foam pits bring their own risks too.

On a completely different note, how do people do acro into foam pits? We have a trampoline track into the foam pit and a big trampoline next to it, and I'm terrified to do saltos into the pit rather than land on teh trampoline. I'm scared I'll hit the edge.
omg this is why I don't start my giant in a handstand - I'm scared of falling over even though I know im strapped in with straps..
Would it maybe help to actually go over once, if that's safe? (Idk if thats safe but your coach would know). Then you may be less scared of it. I do think starting near handstand would help you get over because you have more momentum. I don't start from handstand cause I cant handstand, haha. Part of me is wondering though if I'd be better off learnign giants the other direction because it's feeling like I'm gonna go over on the backswing so much. But that may require a different grip.

Lol not at all, I enjoy reading these
Glad to hear it because I'm not putting much effort into keeping things short tbh. I find it a lot easier to type too much than too little.

Also, just wanted to add a fun fact: because of time difference i recieve your replies at very weird times, lol. Like your previous reply sais "1.55 AM".

The one I'm proudest of is actually my kip and my toe shoot to high bar, though.
Wow - you have a toe shoot on bars! We never train that (at least for my level) but it looks fun to do. I do think that if I try it and get the shoot part I will miss the high bar and face plant lol. But its not gonna be anytime soon.

Took me a few months (honestly it took me until I happened to have a different coach and they gave me a tip for my glide and bam it clicked and I had it).
Coaching makes all the difference!
But since then I'd lost it several times (every time I accidentally lost weight I lose my kip - duh, kips need energy).
Oh yeah that happens. Especially because the way you feel the skill changes. This is also why a lot of the time puberty leads to loss of skills because your body doesn't feel the same way
By the way, why pike and not straddle with the hips over the bar?
Helps you understand the timing! You're not supposed to straddle as soon as you leave the bar, you gotta wait a lil for hips to rise.
I actually did a similar drill a bit ago with straddle to feet just above bar - fall forward.
Oh yeah our team does that drill too. Def helpful for getting used to the weight on your shoulders! Although, it doesn't teach you to press shoulders back the other way to reach handstand..
I was also thinking of practising straddle to handstand from elevated plank position as well.
Good idea!
Actually, my coach can spot me. He teaches adults and mixed gender, so he spots people a lot heavier than me, lol.
Ooh thats nice!!
However, first of all he prefers I get over the bar on my own strength at least for strap bar.
PS: this is what I tried to tell my coach (more reasonable to my head) but they just wanted me to try it out on real bars.
But also I don't like being spotted as much. The first time I actually managed my flyaway was when I was allowed to a resi pit(?) without spot, because being spotted just made it feel all crowded.
Omg same! I got my flyaway without a spot too. Although I like spots for multiple skills, there are some skills that I'd rather do without a spot.
But anyway, we don't have a pit bar, we only have uneven bars above a massive resi mat/pit thing. This gym is new and I think they went for more resi-mats and less foam pits (we have 1 foam block pit) because foam pits bring their own risks too.
Oh we have 1 pit too. One side is high bar, he other side is beam (dismounts) and one side is spring floor.
On a completely different note, how do people do acro into foam pits? We have a trampoline track into the foam pit and a big trampoline next to it, and I'm terrified to do saltos into the pit rather than land on teh trampoline. I'm scared I'll hit the edge.
Omg we're opposites here. I LOVE tumbling into the pit and I like to avoid the trampoline landings because my ankles are weak and messed up so I prefer softer landings like pit. Hit the edge with your feet or head?
Feet: back up from ur starting point. You dont need to land on the very edge to do your skill
Head: just trust yourself. Tramp gives you more than enough height to rotate so you wont hit your head.
Would it maybe help to actually go over once, if that's safe? (Idk if thats safe but your coach would know). Then you may be less scared of it.
Yeah it probably would. It is safe. I just haven't done it so I'm a little scared.
I do think starting near handstand would help you get over because you have more momentum. I don't start from handstand cause I cant handstand, haha.
I agree. Maybe I'll muster up the courage to do it from handstand soon.. also dw you'll get there!
Part of me is wondering though if I'd be better off learnign giants the other direction because it's feeling like I'm gonna go over on the backswing so much. But that may require a different grip.
Ooh those are called front giants. Not sure about the grip- try asking your coach?

Wow - you have a toe shoot on bars! We never train that (at least for my level) but it looks fun to do. I do think that if I try it and get the shoot part I will miss the high bar and face plant lol.
Honestly if you faceplant that's already impressive, it'd mean you turn around strongly in the air lol. When I fall it's often to stand, which also means that when I catch I'm pretty much vertical and have no kip out of it. I'm working on that though.

Omg we're opposites here. I LOVE tumbling into the pit and I like to avoid the trampoline landings because my ankles are weak and messed up so I prefer softer landings like pit
I often feel like it has to do with growing up with this. I think I already said I started 2 years ago, age 24. I like the pit and the idea of it if there werent any hard edges around. I feel like if I'd grown up with it I'd be more used to going past edges to go in.

Head: just trust yourself. Tramp gives you more than enough height to rotate so you wont hit your head.
I'm definitely scared of hitting my head or back, maaybe feet but on the way down? I'm afraid of hitting it on the way down. You have a good point about rotation, but when it's new skills then I'm not sure I can get them around. My issue is I tend to tumble high and not far. I think I actually once scraped the edge of the mini trampoline on my way down from a front tuck to mat. But even if I can get my front tuck fully rotated, I don't want to land with my feet on the metal edge of the big trampoline either. Though I guess I can try getting used to it with the trampoline track doing front tuck and maybe handsprings, stuff I'm used to doing.
Also, an example: I've been wanting to do back tucks, but I'm scared it's unsafe. I feel like i could do it but I shouldn't just try without a spotter or a foam pit. But into the foam put from the trampoline track, I'm worried if I don't go backwards enough I'll hit my head or chin on it on the way down. (Also the end of the trampoline track is really bad and not at all springy because it's the end. )

Def helpful for getting used to the weight on your shoulders! Although, it doesn't teach you to press shoulders back the other way to reach handstand..
Now I'm replying out of order, but: good point, that getting the shoulders back is exactly where I get stuck.

I was gonna reply to one specific thing, then I went going from bit to bit replying to your message and now I forgot what I originally had to say. Oh well...

Honestly if you faceplant that's already impressive, it'd mean you turn around strongly in the air lol. When I fall it's often to stand, which also means that when I catch I'm pretty much vertical and have no kip out of it. I'm working on that though.
I mean, I've never tried it. I could very well not even get to the shoot part because we barely do any toe on stuff. Lol. You got it - having a toe shoot is already amazing!
I often feel like it has to do with growing up with this. I think I already said I started 2 years ago, age 24. I like the pit and the idea of it if there werent any hard edges around. I feel like if I'd grown up with it I'd be more used to going past edges to go in.
That makes sense. I'm sure you'll get over the fear though!!
I'm definitely scared of hitting my head or back, maaybe feet but on the way down? I'm afraid of hitting it on the way down. You have a good point about rotation, but when it's new skills then I'm not sure I can get them around. My issue is I tend to tumble high and not far.
honestly, higher tumbling is better than farther imo (for saltos). Handsprings obviously need to be long but all saltos should be high giving you enough time to rotate and spot(if backwards) to land.
I think I actually once scraped the edge of the mini trampoline on my way down from a front tuck to mat. But even if I can get my front tuck fully rotated, I don't want to land with my feet on the metal edge of the big trampoline either. Though I guess I can try getting used to it with the trampoline track doing front tuck and maybe handsprings, stuff I'm used to doing.
yeah thats a good idea!
Also, an example: I've been wanting to do back tucks, but I'm scared it's unsafe. I feel like i could do it but I shouldn't just try without a spotter or a foam pit. But into the foam put from the trampoline track, I'm worried if I don't go backwards enough I'll hit my head or chin on it on the way down. (Also the end of the trampoline track is really bad and not at all springy because it's the end. )
I think your best bet would be spotter if you know you wouldn't commit fully without one.. not committing might lead you to hit smth making you even more afraid.
Now I'm replying out of order, but: good point, that getting the shoulders back is exactly where I get stuck.
hmm, honestly that part just naturally came to me but I think straddle presses (from a stand) against the wall and eventually on the floor might help with that. Not sure though
I was gonna reply to one specific thing, then I went going from bit to bit replying to your message and now I forgot what I originally had to say. Oh well...
Haha i hate when that happens. Well if you remember just reply :shrug:

I mean, I've never tried it. I could very well not even get to the shoot part because we barely do any toe on stuff. Lol. You got it - having a toe shoot is already amazing!

That makes sense. I'm sure you'll get over the fear though!!

honestly, higher tumbling is better than farther imo (for saltos). Handsprings obviously need to be long but all saltos should be high giving you enough time to rotate and spot(if backwards) to land.

yeah thats a good idea!

I think your best bet would be spotter if you know you wouldn't commit fully without one.. not committing might lead you to hit smth making you even more afraid.

hmm, honestly that part just naturally came to me but I think straddle presses (from a stand) against the wall and eventually on the floor might help with that. Not sure though

Haha i hate when that happens. Well if you remember just reply :shrug:
So I thought I'd give a little update on tumbling into the pit.
I've never tried a back tuck, just never gotten to it. Yestday I asked the trainer if he could stand by for safety as I try one on the large trampoline. He asked me to do it into the large resi mat or pit. I said I'm scared of landing on the frame fo the trampoline, so we put a mat over it. I did the tuck and I overrotated to my back, indeed onto the mat. I could just feel the metal frame through the mat but the mat did its job. (plus the coach said I rolled out well so it looked very safe). So yeah about 'what are you scared of', stuff like that lol.

Whats weird is I have air awareness on bars with my tucked flyaway, but I had no idea where I was with the back tuck. Though with the front tuck I also have difficulty on the big trampoline, I sometimes expect to land like a second or two before I really do. That's not an issue though, cause it just means I'm bracing for landing a tad early, having already rotated and opened.

On another note, I am quite proud that I went for the back tuck lol. I don't like being spotted so I tried it without spot right away (he was there if needed so it was safe). That can sometimes make things extra scary, but I did it so that's nice. I hope after some tries I can get it without spotter present on trampoline so I can do a lot of reps on my own. (coach didn't have time to stand by for more than 1 now because he was really coaching beam). Plus I had to take it very slow still with my back.

Also, sorry for commenting again but I completely forgot to add: I've also written in the blog about this again (https://somegymnasticsblog.wordpress.com/). I am thinking of doing it weekly, and maybe making a post about it here if I can fix technical issues.

Also, I hope it's still not annoying that I send so many/long comments. I'm not normally on forums and other such things so I have no idea if it's rude to comment too much.

So I thought I'd give a little update on tumbling into the pit.
I've never tried a back tuck, just never gotten to it. Yestday I asked the trainer if he could stand by for safety as I try one on the large trampoline. He asked me to do it into the large resi mat or pit. I said I'm scared of landing on the frame fo the trampoline, so we put a mat over it. I did the tuck and I overrotated to my back, indeed onto the mat. I could just feel the metal frame through the mat but the mat did its job. (plus the coach said I rolled out well so it looked very safe). So yeah about 'what are you scared of', stuff like that lol.
I have like the opposite problem (far instead of up) so I don't know what to suggest. Glad you at least tried it though!
Whats weird is I have air awareness on bars with my tucked flyaway, but I had no idea where I was with the back tuck. Though with the front tuck I also have difficulty on the big trampoline, I sometimes expect to land like a second or two before I really do. That's not an issue though, cause it just means I'm bracing for landing a tad early, having already rotated and opened.
I have much more air awareness on a tuck flyaway than round off tuck on floor. I also don't have much air awarness with front tumbling, I just do a front tuck or smth and expect to land lol
On another note, I am quite proud that I went for the back tuck lol. I don't like being spotted so I tried it without spot right away (he was there if needed so it was safe). That can sometimes make things extra scary, but I did it so that's nice. I hope after some tries I can get it without spotter present on trampoline so I can do a lot of reps on my own. (coach didn't have time to stand by for more than 1 now because he was really coaching beam). Plus I had to take it very slow still with my back.
Proud of you!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back