Beginning to learn giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Just curious, as I know very little about gymnastics...my dd is training level 6/7 now. She did her first unassisted giant the other day and was very excited, but the next day at practice she wasn't able to make it, but said she was close. (Again, I really have no idea what that means.) I was just wondering if it is typical for them to do it and then lose it the next day.

This happens a lot with all new skills. Not to worry, it will come back. Congrats, btw!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It is completely normal, especially with giants. It took me about a month to be able to make them over 9/10 times (aka, very consistantly). It's very frustrating, but totally normal :)

Completely normal. Don't worry about it. Giants (like kips and back handsprings) are skills that are erratic at first, until the gymnasts really get the feel for it. Then they become more consistent. Just encourage her to keep trying. She'll be fine.

My dd got her giants on strap right away last November. Since then, they have been training them with grips. When she was finally able to do one unassisted, she was elated! Then, the next day, she came out of the gym, crying, "Mommy, I lost my giants!!" I asked, well, where did you lose them??? lol...honestly, I didn't make a big deal out of it. She's in the gym so often, I figure she's gonna have good days and bad days, and if today wasn't such a great day, there's always tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day, lol!!

Incidentally, she "found" her giants :D Right where she left them...

My dd got her giants on strap right away last November. Since then, they have been training them with grips. When she was finally able to do one unassisted, she was elated!
How long did that take? DD has recently started getting them on the strap bar, but isn't remotely close on the regular bar with grips on (part of this is grip strength and fear of flying off). I think I read on here it takes about 6 months, but don't really remember. Sometimes, it's nice to give DD reasonable expectations when she starts thinking something should happen faster than it does.

My gymmie is the queen of the single rail giants, just too scared to do them on her set of regular bars. So afraid that her cast will not be high enough and she will hit her toes on the low bar.

How long did that take? DD has recently started getting them on the strap bar, but isn't remotely close on the regular bar with grips on (part of this is grip strength and fear of flying off). I think I read on here it takes about 6 months, but don't really remember. Sometimes, it's nice to give DD reasonable expectations when she starts thinking something should happen faster than it does.

Well, back in Nov, they only tried them on strap. Then, they had competition season Jan -March, so they didn't do anything else with them except strap during that time. I'd say it was about April that they started working them on the regular bar. Coach wouldn't let them until they could cast to hs really well. It only took her about 2 practices to get it...then she "lost" it (lol) and then "found" it again. Now she can consistently do cast to HS, and five in a row giants. Some of the kids she works out with have some fear issues- afraid to hit their toes, afraid to peel off, etc. You must understand, though, my dd is a bar nut. It's her strongest and absolute fave event. No fears whatsoever-(so far). Beam, however, is another story... ;)

Lol it happens as they are just acquiring the new skill. My Dd got her full on floor and was so happy she did it 5xs then lost it a few days later. My dh tells her to check her pockets maybe it's in there or to bring the Leo that has the lost skill in it lol. She usually rolls her eyes and laughs at her dad. Congats on your Dd getting the giant! In my mind once she does the skill I know it will come more consistantly with practice and repetition so hang in there :)

It sounds about right, as long as she's able to mix in some successes with each practice. The time to worry, and you won't know this, is when she'd gone 2 or 3 practices with-out making, any but making the same mistake repeatedly. That can lead to a child fortifying the mistake, and losing the swing awareness that made the first successes possible. Her coach should be able to recognize that pattern, if it happens, and "talk her down" from the mistakes to get the skill back on track.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back