Coaches Bent Knees and Flexed Feet... Ugh!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lizzy Brennan

Coach
Gymnast
Hello ChalkBucket! My YMCA just finished up our competitive season, and we are ready to start working new skills. As the OCD person that I am, I have been looking at all of our team girls and (privately) predicting where they will most likely end up next season.
One girl in particular, (let's call her "Katie") stumps me. "Katie" just wrapped up a rough level two season; rarely scoring above an 8.5 on any event and only placing a handful of times. "Katie" can do all of her level two skills, but does not keep her knees straight and is always neglecting to point her toes. Every coach has corrected her on this, multiple times, but she likes to develop an attitude when you do correct her. She especially hates being videotaped and does not pay attention as she should when you try to explain to her what she is doing wrong. She has even cried over this before. Katie, though, learns quickly and will most likely have her level three skills by testing time this August. As coaches, we would love to see her continue to advance, but I am afraid that with the current attitude that we are given and bent knee issue, she will not move up with the rest of her teammates. I have talked with her mother, numerous times, and she completely understands what is going on.
What I am wondering though, is anyone able to give some pointers on how to fix this issue of sloppy legs?
P.S. She is physically able to straighten her legs and point her toes, barely.

Stop her in the middle of her skills and hold her still until she straightens and points, then let her continue. Do this a millions times rather than verbally correcting her.
Thank you! This is definitely something we will try with her, and others.

We struggle with the bends too. DD wishes she were naturally flexible instead of strong and she too gets frustrated with verbal reminders. I'm sure the attitude is not to be disrespectful but is done out of frustration and embarrassment. You said yourself "Every coach has corrected her on this, multiple times". How would you feel ever every time your boss and co-workers walked by they pointed out what you were doing wrong, loudly enough for all your peers/athletes and parents to hear. Guessing you might get a little pissy too. :)

She knows what she's doing wrong but maybe doesn't feel it during the skill. Chances are this is something that didn't get fixed from the beginning of her gymnastics career...now that she has a more attentive coach, you are having to undo several years of muscle memory. It's *feels right* but looks wrong. You have to get her to to make it feel wrong so that it's right.

You say she's able to straighten and point *Barely*. Sounds like she's going to need more flexibility training then some of your other girls. Not sure if you have *rest stations*... static activities specific to each athlete that they are supposed to do when they are waiting for an event or directions. Plank hold for someone needing core, pike stretch for tight hamstrings, froggies for hip openers, tucked overtoes for flex feet... Each athlete works they personal condi anytime they are waiting. You can change it up for each event or each week/month or when you see progress.

Get her in the position you want, have her close her eyes and visualize/feel the sensation. have her relax and then try to replicate the feeling.

Lots of leg tightening drills (you tube has tons of examples).

Pike stretches with tight legs, flex and point with thera bands, and over toes. Splits with back leg straight foot on a panel mat or block from behind)

Make physical corrections as not all children are auditory learners. If you can, photograph skills in sequence (multiple shutter release) or slow motion record them. It'll help you determine when she's bending and the visual is good if she learns like me. :)

Massage will also help if her calves and hamstrings are tight and she'll be more likely to do that in her out of gym time than splits.

And the best of all is praise grandly when she gets it right. She's been torn down about it often so make sure you let her know that you notice when she is trying. Ask if she felt what was different and is she able to reproduce the feeling. Interested in an update next month. :)

Stop her in the middle of her skills and hold her still until she straightens and points, then let her continue. Do this a millions times rather than verbally correcting her.
YES! Not everyone is an Auditory learner.
ae21209497d60b666f6127b159d7c84f.jpg
e992617fcc32ede9f429fb5d98a2d8cf.jpg

How would you feel ever every time your boss and co-workers walked by they pointed out what you were doing wrong, loudly enough for all your peers/athletes and parents to hear. Guessing you might get a little pissy too. :)

She knows what she's doing wrong but maybe doesn't feel it during the skill. Chances are this is something that didn't get fixed from the beginning of her gymnastics career...now that she has a more attentive coach, you are having to undo several years of muscle memory. It's *feels right* but looks wrong. You have to get her to to make it feel wrong so that it's right.

Plank hold for someone needing core, pike stretch for tight hamstrings, froggies for hip openers, tucked overtoes for flex feet... Each athlete works they personal condi anytime they are waiting.

Get her in the position you want, have her close her eyes and visualize/feel the sensation. have her relax and then try to replicate the feeling.

Lots of leg tightening drills (you tube has tons of examples).

Pike stretches with tight legs, flex and point with thera bands, and over toes. Splits with back leg straight foot on a panel mat or block from behind)

Make physical corrections as not all children are auditory learners. If you can, photograph skills in sequence (multiple shutter release) or slow motion record them. It'll help you determine when she's bending and the visual is good if she learns like me. :)

Massage will also help if her calves and hamstrings are tight and she'll be more likely to do that in her out of gym time than splits.

And the best of all is praise grandly when she gets it right. She's been torn down about it often so make sure you let her know that you notice when she is trying. Ask if she felt what was different and is she able to reproduce the feeling. Interested in an update next month. :)

Wow! This definitely provided me with a whole new perspective, THANK YOU!
I totally get it, as a gymnast myself, I understand the embarrassing corrections, and have noticed that this is where most of the sass comes from.
I am not HC, and will not be around "Katie" until May-ish as I start my HS softball season. Generally, during the off-season, we do have more stations, but nothing like the ones you have provided. I will talk with another coach who will be there, and see if she can get everyone started with the aforementioned stretches and massages! I will be sure to look some up.
We really don't work with a lot of visual correction, and I believe that by changing some of these habits, many of our girls will benefit.
You are sooo right with more praise. Sometimes that seems to slip; it is easier to point out what is wrong that what is good.
I will try my hardest to keep you updated, but can't make any guarantees. :( Thank you so much for all of your insight!

Teach her to squeeze her muscles while lying, sitting and standing (basic leg tension drills). If she struggles to maintain tension in these positions for very long, then doing it in motion is a big ask. A lot children need to experience what tight legs feel like. If you spend 5 minutes at every session working on leg and body tension, the kids will have an easy reference of the feeling they need to replicate during skills. I also incorporate this into other areas of training, when they line up to move through the gym they must stand with tight legs and good body posture - this takes a lot of adjustment/time at first, but it pays of as the kids are better aware of their body and how to correct tension and posture errors. If a kid can't stand on two feet with correct alignment and body tension, how will they be able to do it during their handstand?

I don't tend to say 'straighter your knees' because this does not tell a young child how to straighten their knees. I usually tell them to squeeze their muscles or pull knee caps up/make a smiley face with your knees. Some kids struggle to straighten their legs due to their body, but if they are squeezing the muscles the legs will look tight even if they still slightly bent.

I'd get rid of any of the attitude and crying, they are not great coping skills for gymnastics or life.

With YG, we had to physically touch her knees and say "tight" to remind her... and we physically worked with her feet, putting them in a pointed position. It helped and now, 4 seasons into her competitive career, she CAN do straight legs and pointed toes.

Now, you said she can barely straighten and point...
I, personally, don't have the range of motion necessary to point my toes - but I can straighten my legs just fine. If I try to exceed the ROM, and FORCE my toes to point, my calves and feet and the muscle at the inner lower shin area will all simultaneously cramp up and it is VERY painful... picture your toes trying to be pulled under the foot and up to the calf.

I tell you this so that, when you do try putting her into the position, you (or whoever is helping her) monitors to make sure she doesn't cramp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back