Parents Best decision ever made

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Haismom

Proud Parent
I haven't posted in awhile... But last I posted I was concerned about the gym we were at, and thinking about investigating other gyms because my daughter had lost her sparkle! She wasn't coming home energized like she used to...
We did a few trial practices around town, nothing that impressed her...then we went to a family festival around Halloween.
There was a gym I had not even heard of there, so as i was very irritated over some safety issues the day before at her gym, I walked up to the table and said "my daugther is a competitive gymnast, I'm not happy with the location she is at, please sell me!" My daughter was at this time tumbling on the small circuit they had set up. The woman manning the table had seen us walk up noting she was throwing her backhandspring she sent some girls off to find the head coach... We spoke it turned out this head coach had trained her current coach...

So they had a demo about this time my kiddo, no fear, says can I tumble with them? And she did...
They invited us to come out and practice with them sometime...
Since I had paid a lot into this season already I figured this move would not take place until after this season...

Boy was I wrong...

We had a doctors appointment that Monday and were headed from the doctors to practice, she was going to be late, she hates being late because of the extra conditioning... So she reminded me that the other place practiced later so maybe we could try it... We did... The facility was not as nice, but my daughter began sparkling almost immediately... After the first practice she said she loved this place and the coaches...

So we switched in early November!!!!
Yes we lost some money, but she just finished her 3rd meet this season on Sunday and at that meet she got 4 of her top scores this season!!!

We love this new gym... All its coaches and I have in just a few months watched my daughter bloom into a wonderful girl...

One last thing she has a great outlook on things she is almost 10 and at a meet in early January she fell off the beam 5 times and got a 5.525 and was she upset, after the meet...NO smiling she said I am so glad I got that horrible score out of the way while I am young, when I am a "big gymnast" I won't have time for bad scores.." Such a great insight from such a little girl

Thing to remember it's always about what is best for YOUR kid, and who knows better than YOUR KID!!!

So very great!!!!
It's definitely hard when they're not enjoying going to gym, and I know that feeling in your heart when it's back!!

Good for you for making that decision for her ;)

That's awesome! I'm new around here but have a similar story. DD had been begging me to do gymnastics for years. She was a dancer and I admit I really loved dance and didn't want her to quit! I also thought she was a bit old to start (she was nearly 9).

Anyway I finally gave in and found a gym with a good reputation close to home. Well... She HATED IT! They put her in a NDP level 1 class with 5 year olds. Now, I fully understand that she needed to go back to basics, learn strength, bars, beam etc. However she was brilliant on floor, already had her BWO, BHS, aerial etc from dancing, they wouldn't even consider putting her in a club level (what I gather is similar to US Xcel?) until she had the strength for NDP.

Final straw was when I overheard the head coach discussing with another coach how "talentless" and "useless" she was right within earshot of the parents, including me! I pulled her out and found another gym a little further from home, very small, not a great rep and not as great equipment.

They were SO welcoming. Put her in NDP 3 with kids her own age and she gained the strength needed before comps. And she silver medaled at 2 of them so she couldn't have been too talentless.

Anyway, now she loves gym! Loves her coaches and her team mates and is very happy! So glad I made the decision to try somewhere else instead of just throwing it in.

What lovely stories. A gym switch is such a big deal that it really is lovely to be reminded that when they happen for a very good reason, a positive outcome is likely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back