Parents Best way to find real reviews on local gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipflopsalto

Coach
Proud Parent
We may be making a gym switch and I was wondering how any of you had found real reviews. I am not sure if I am bold enough to ask a parent of a gymnast while observing. Also, I don't want a sugar coated version. I am a coach so I know more about the internal workings of our local gyms then most parents and I think it is making my decision harder.

Very difficult to do. I think you really need to think about what your child needs/wants in this sport, and then meet with coaches and listen carefully. If you have friends or someone you know/trust with a child at the other gym, that helps.

Here is an example of why it is hard:

Gym A, if you don't make preteam when you are 5 or 6, door hard to pry open unless your kids appears to be a phenom and fits closely with said gym's "physical ideal" in terms of strength, body type, whatever you are looking for.

You are moving to town and considering Gym A, and want to ask if that gym is appropriate for your 6 year old:

Parent 1 has a Level 10 at Gym A, headed to NCAA in a few years. "This is a fantastics gym. The best one in town. When we switched here four years ago, coaches and kids were really welcoming. The team and girls are fantastic."

Parent 2 child is in Excel at Gym A. "We love this gym. They have the option of Excel with only 6 hours a week. This is perfect for our child who is excels in soccer. We think her gymnastics contributes to her confidence, flexibility, and strength which benefits all areas of her life."

Parent 3 child used to be at Gym A, is now a successful Level 10 somewhere else. Well, Gym A was not a good fit for us. My daughter was not allowed any privates and she went unnoticed there. She has blossomed under coach at Gym B. We are sooo glad we made the switch.

Parent 5 used to be in Excel at Gym A. Our daughter was consistently over looked at Gym A because she started at age 7 and wasn't the strongest or most flexible, though she seemed as good on those things as many of the other girls who were invited to preteam, if a year or two older. While all the coaches said the most important thing was that each gymnast progresses, she was never given the opportunity for more hours and the top coaches at Gym A. We are so happy we left, and our daughter is having fun scoring better than many of Team A girls who were picked over her a few years back. Next year is her first year of options, we are looking forward to that. Our only regret is that we didn't leave sooner.

Parent 6 "I've never been to gym A, but we would love to get in there. They send more kids to NCAA than any gym in this state, I think."

Parent 7 "You must be insane to encourage this sport. I'd rather watch my kid at the ice rink or out in the sunshine."

Depends who you ask. The trickiest part really is finding the right fit for your child, who want to see her do her best even if she may not be on the national team one day. Or maybe she will.....but she needs someone who believes in her..

Good luck! If you are a coach you probably have more of a leg up on all this than the rest of us did at the beginning.

She does need someone who believes in her which is exactly why we are considering the change! Thanks for your input you are exactly right, the problem is what we all know...I really wont know if its the right fit until we try it. I really hope we make the right choice, I do not want to have to go through what we are going through again!

Well don't go to Yelp! They are involved in multiple lawsuits involving suspicious reviews and review placements etc.... Anyways, probably the best way is to ask around here and do your homework on mymeetscores.com

OH MY GAWD! Parent 4 is missing! Assemble the gymnasts and release the hounds! Chalk alert! Chalk alert! :p
Geez..... Why no references to thing 1 and think 2 if it's that big a mess. Visit any gym you are considering three times, and have a moment, or many, with the group's (likely for dd) coach. Ask that person all your questions and filter the bs with what you know about coaching.

If something seems out of place, like grossly inflated statements about their success, which you will verify afterward at mymeetscores.com........ forget about them and move on. Figure if they exaggerate their abilities they'll have to find excuses for not measuring up to them. If you choose to remain..... well, at least your child will be valued after every meet when the coach tells you how hard it is to get these kids together when they work hard, nor listen, care, or believe in themselves.

Find a gym that tells it like it is, and answers all your questions with sincere efforts to stay close to the truth.

I have a pet peeve about gym names, as gloss can often be added to the lipstick on the pig. In my opinion, as humble as it is, if a gym's name includes the word "elite" or "national" they should have trained and qualified at least one elite within any staff member's/owners lifetime, or sent a kid to nationals more than once.

Take your time and listen carefully to their answers, as doing any less may end with you seeing red....:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Well, if you want to "observe" a bunch of gyms at once I suggest you go to a meet. Lots of good information to be gleaned all at once...performance levels, age ranges, etc. How organized are the warmups? How do the gymnasts behave in between events (are they goofing around or waiting respectfully)? How do the coaches treat the gymnasts when they make a mistake? How supportive are the parent groups? Do they all sit together and cheer, or do they sit apart? Do they cheer for other gyms at awards or just their own?

You can observe all of these things at a meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back