WAG BHS-BHS vs BHS-BLO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

esor

Proud Parent
Gymnast
My DD competed L8 last year and working L9 skills. We are not sure if she will repeat L8, just depends on getting her skills, which she seems to be making good progress.

So my question is on beam. She can do, but never competed a BHS -BHS. Long story but she is afraid to do them and Hates them with a capital H. She can do them, and when she does they are beautiful. But she competed the BWO-BHS at L8 because she can do them in her sleep. She just hates connecting two BHS's. But, she is now working her BHS- BLO, and seems to like them better. She is doing them on a medium height beam with a diaper, will also let coaches spot her on higher beams (no one is allowed near her when she does her BHS-BHS), has it on low beam, and seems to like it and not as afraid of it. But she will still only do a BHS-BHS if forced by her coach.

So my question is can this be a real progression for her that works? Have other kids actually skipped competing the BHS-BHS and jumped to this? And why would she be so afraid of what is deemed the easier skill, is it something with her hands? It just seems odd to me, but looks like the path she might be headed down.
Interested in your thoughts and stories here.

Wow! I just read your post to my DD. She said, "That Sounds Like me! " She is headed down the same path. She too competed bwo ff as an 8. She has the ff ff for over a year off and on but also prefers Her 9 series ff bpike.
As she says, "its easier to Miss my hands on the ff ff, but not on the ff bp. I always land on my feet on the bp. " So I guess its a normal transition. I remember one girl From Dds old gym who did the same this past season.

I've seen this happen. One girl was just scared of the BHS BHS on beam, so she skipped it. She's done really well (invited to developmental camp, and asked back). Beam wasn't her best event.

Of course the problem is all mental, which could lead to other issues. Some coaches refuse to let athletes skip it because of this.

I like to hear there are others that have had the same types of situations. Its at least comforting to know that this is kind of normal :)

dd competed the bwo/bhs in L7 and 8 then a bhs/lo in L9. She trained the bhs/bhs but never felt comfortable competing it. She said the same thing gymmieC's dd said about missing hands and finding the LO easier than the bhs/bhs. I wouldn't say it is common. The L9 sessions we saw this past season mostly had bhs/bhs - until we got to regaionals. Then we saw more bhs/lo's

Definitely not unheard of! Bhs blo is easier for some kids. :)

Mark my dd in the flip-lay is easier than the bhs-bhs category. She told me all last season it would be, and was eager for the season to be over to start working it. She never had a connected bhs-bhs, she competed a bwo-bhs in L8 but was working a beautiful flip-lay on high beam within a week after L8 regionals. Go figure...
She also says laying out her vault will be easier than piking it...but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

DD was in a boot for a week after missing her hands in a BHS-BHS series. Hasn't connected it since. Luckily she doesn't need it for L7 and can connect the BWO-BHS. But she has already said that the BHS-BLO will be less scary because she won't be scared of missing her hands.

I am really surprised at hearing how many kids are in the same boat. I am glad I asked! RSM, sorry to hear your DD hurt herself on her series! I think the missing hands is the big scary piece for my DD too.

Yeah, my dd is doing BHS-BHS into her dismount this year...one of her teammates missed her hands and freaked them all out, but at the moment she is doing it. She did mention that she thinks the LO would be easier. Fingers crossed for no mishaps!

My DD would MUCH prefer to learn/do just about anything OTHER than BHS BHS right now even though she can mostly do them. She can't wait to get to something that doesn't require her to get her hands down on the beam twice. She would really like to do BHS BT eventually. She has a beautiful standing BT so I don't think it would be too much of a stretch eventually.

My dd competed BHS-BHS at L8 and did not like it. She would connect it just fine, but would stand there for what seemed like a million seconds before doing the series.…. She competed BHS-BLO this past year in L9 and much preferred that and did well with it.

Mine hated the BHS-BHS on beam for level 9. Instead, started training a RO-BT for lvl 9 and kept it for lvl 10. She loved to flip way more than the BHS. If I am not mistaken, it got her bonus as well (but not sure; all we saw was the flippy thing).

I do know that if you have 3 acro series: BHS BHS BLO connected, they get a max +0.30 bonus, so that could be why her coach wants her to do them.

Is BHS-BLO allowed at L8 or do they need to wait until L9?
I believe they can do it in L8 as long as they don't have any other across C's. I never saw one in L8 when dd competed. Many back tucks but no lo's.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back