WAG Bhs hand position

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I used to have my bhs perfectly fine on high beam, but then i didn't do any for about a month because of a wrist injury, and now i can't get my hands in the right position. Like on the low beam, my left hand goes on the beam where it's supposed to go, but my right hand will land on the box next to the beam. Soooooo does any one know of any skills or drills to help me get proper hand placement for this?

Practice down an incline with a taped line down the mat.

Practice on the trampoline on a chalk line.

Practice uphill on to a panel/accordion mat.

It could just be your brain not allowing you to place your hands correctly because it knows there is a mat adjacent to the beam- so why put both on? You need to spend time with drills doing the skill technically correct each time and learn muscle memory through repetition. This will also boost your confidence level with the skill.

There could be technical issues going on as well. Be sure to pay attention to your jump into the BHS. Do not drop your chest forward and try and lift your arms quickly during the jump. Just before you put your hands on the beam, what do you see? Are you looking for the beam? The line where you are doing additional easy repetitions?

During backward skills on beam you are able to see where you are going. Take advantage of that. Watch the line/beam and place your hands correctly every time. Don't allow yourself to do it incorrectly. Also be sure to watch where you place your foot on the landing.

Get something about the size of a grapefruit, put it between your hands, extend your arms into a bhs flight position (while standing or laying on your back), close your eyes and image yourself going through a bhs as if you were doing it, not watching it. Hold the grapfruit with the same grip you use for bhs on the beam. If a grapefruit isn't the right shape for your bhs hand placement then find something that is.

Spend a minute doing this three times during beam warm-ups (total of 3 minutes)

Get something about the size of a grapefruit, put it between your hands, extend your arms into a bhs flight position (while standing or laying on your back), close your eyes and image yourself going through a bhs as if you were doing it, not watching it. Hold the grapfruit with the same grip you use for bhs on the beam. If a grapefruit isn't the right shape for your bhs hand placement then find something that is.

Spend a minute doing this three times during beam warm-ups (total of 3 minutes)

LOVE THIS IDEA! I will share this with my DD! She can get correct hand placement on a line in the floor..but once on the beam, not so much. Although its getting better, it's not improving fast enough!

'It could just be your brain not allowing you to place your hands correctly because it knows there is a mat adjacent to the beam- so why put both on?'

^^Bingo!^^ ;)

See this all the time. When I get tired of it (and I know they can do it), I move them to a medium high beam with a SPOT. The brain is an amazing thing! I'm not sure if I could ever remember a time when their hands didn't suddenly/magically find the beam when they were forced to focus! ;) I will also stop them half way through the BHS to give them a chance to look at their hands and make any small adjustments they might need. Good luck and keep at it.

Thank you all so much! I got rid of the boxes and you're right! My hands strangely enough landed on the beam. They were landing on top of each other though which my coach doesn't allow in our gym, so I tried the grapefruit idea with a foam block the size of a beam, and that helped heaps. Thank you! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back