MAG Bicep Tendonitis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D seems to have gotten himself a little case of bicep tendonitis as far as everyone can tell. He has about a 1 inch area of pain in the front of his shoulder that is fine for a while, then as he practices, it gets worse and worse. When is this poor kiddo going to catch a break? Anyone else's kiddo had this? tips, timelines, suggestions??

tell him enough, NOW, time to stop, sheesh.

I had rotator cuff problems and they took a long time, 6 months to go away, and that was not doing gym. Taping helped me

tell him enough, NOW, time to stop, sheesh.

I had rotator cuff problems and they took a long time, 6 months to go away, and that was not doing gym. Taping helped me

I know. I know. He is taped...and I think that is helping. he isn't doing much at gym short of conditioning and the shoulder therapy his therapist gave him. His coach is keeping him in check as well.

Coach is now saying he thinks it is a muscle strain. that would be better, slightly. I am going to force him to take some more time off .......he is a terror when not in the gym :(

Yup. Just talked to him. There was a deep sigh. And an 'ok'. I think he Knows he needs to. He jsut wants to be ready for the season. but trying to teach him that he can't perform if he is 1/2 strength right now. 1 week off would be better than 1/2 for the rest of the year :(

Omg! Seriously? Hope you don't mind, but we are adding him to our good thoughts list. This is ridiculous, I so feel for you! And your son!!:(

Thanks. I think he needs all the help he can get right now. Went from ankle to back to hand to shoulder. Over the course of a year. Boys....

Poor kid! Sending healing caries for him and patience fairies for you!

Skschlag, I am sending fairies your way. You have been doing this long enough so you know the drill, ice rest, stretch........it's the mental side that is a killer......I know you will work through it......when my son had a stubborn case, the pt would do ice massage and it worked very well. I wish I had better advice......definitely handle it now and be ready for the season....

G's done other tendinitis but not that one. Sounds like D knows what needs to be done- hopefully he can "remember" it when it matters. Wishing you both good luck as he deals with another set back, and hope this passes quickly. Id send fairies but we haven't seen any in a long time...so good thoughts and sympathy will have to do!

D seems to have gotten himself a little case of bicep tendonitis as far as everyone can tell. He has about a 1 inch area of pain in the front of his shoulder that is fine for a while, then as he practices, it gets worse and worse. When is this poor kiddo going to catch a break? Anyone else's kiddo had this? tips, timelines, suggestions??

I have this myself from spotting repetitively. My Chiro told me to rub vigorously over the bicep tendon and the rotator cuff tendon and in the groove between them for 5-10 min to break up the scar tissue and stiffness. Also, to find the tendon and to pinch or push very hard on it for up to 3 min. Can also stretch arm behind your back, like you are trying to scratch your upper back, and put pressure on it or lay on it for 1 min.... then when you think you can't take it anymore, stretch it higher or farther and hold it another 30 seconds!!! Hurts like hell!! It does help though! Always follow these exercises with icing!

Reactions: sce
Thanks. That sounds a lot like what his Rossiter coach is doing with him. He says it hurts too. I think i am making him take a week off...hopefully that will help!!!

Oh no! He needs to catch a break! I totally know how you feel. My older DD has been very much the same. Ever since she broke her leg (1.5 YEARS ago!!!) there has been SOMETHING. It was the leg, then tendonitis in the other, then tendonitis in the formerly broken leg, then something impinged in I don't even know which ankle, then the knee still hurting and she says it never totally quit hurting, then severs and a cast, now the ankle still an issue, knee still hurts, and starts of gymnast wrist. The ortho casted her for 2 weeks, which really forced her to back off some over the summer. And then she took another week TOTALLY off. It has helped. Hopefully a week totally off will help D. We haven't dealt with this particular issue; but DD did find some relief with her tendonitis in her legs wearing compression sleeve things. Maybe something similar on D's arm would help? DD's PT is big that these things help more than just a placebo. Something about brain feedback from the feeling of the brace/sleeve at the injury site...

Ugh, I hope the bit of time off fixes it! It's just so hard when they are growing and it's one thing after another. We have a relatively large optional team this year (3 L10s and 6 L9s), all teenagers, most growing vigorously. Sometimes if you shut your eyes and just listened to the conversations, you'd swear you were in a geriatric ward!

I hope he's willing to do the compression sleeve and that it helps. Does his Rossiter guy recommend KT tape or other taping? I'm kind of skeptical of the whole KT tape craze, but it certainly is popular around here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back