Parents Big Day for my dd. Two milestones met!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeping judy

Proud Parent
She came home yesterday all excited to tell me that she got her kip and vaulted over the table without a spot. I am so happy this happened for her as it has been a rough summer. Lots of conditioning and she has been struggling with some fear issues. She also struggles with the fact that skills seem to come a lot easier to the other girls in her group and then she gets anxious that they will never happen for her which puts her in a downward spiral. I have been a broken record telling her that all her hard work will pay off and I am so happy that she got a taste of that yesterday.

How awesome for her. :) I know that for some of the new level 5's at DD's gym, those have been 2 areas where they struggled. Glad that she got past it!

congratulations to your DD ! I think it is very difficult for girls who struggle with skills see others get them, what seems to be easily. My DD has struggled with similar issues, although she gets skills fairly quickly she struggles with form & sees others doing things 'pretty' or moving up more quickly than her as she stays behind trying to make her form better. It is so hard for them to be passed by eithrt way.

I just try to remind her that everyone is different and that as long as she is doing HER best & enjoying gymnastics that the rest isn't important. Not saying she believes me mind you

AWESOME! The kip is such a biggie! I remember my DDs first time over the valut - it was hands down the single ugliest thing I'd ever seen LOL but she, and her coach, were so excited.

Just keep reminding her everyone progresses at their own rate and it doesn't mean anything. Eventually there will probably be a skill she'll master really quick and everyone else will be struggling.

Thank you!

I have done lots of pep talks with her this summer and I feel like a broken record saying "it's a marathon not a sprint" :lol

I always use the analogy of walking with her. I tell her that everyone starts walking at a different age, but at some point everyone walks and no one knows or cares who started doing it first.

I swear it's little triumphs like this that suck her back into the sport :)

WTG to you DD. Major milestones. Im sure she got a little ego boost from all of this too.

Congratulations to your dd!!!! The kip is a tough one. And tell your dd that she's not the last as my dd still has not gone over the vaulting table without a spot. :)

Tell your daughter that everyone goes at their own pace. How fast someone gets a skill doesn't mean their skill will be better. It took my daughter more than 1 year to get her kip and 2+ years to get her level 5 vault. Fears hold her back but we've gotten a lot of help using Dr. Ali Arnold's Mental Training book (at gym) and now I've enrolled her in Head Games web camp. It is really great for her to have someone to talk to besides Mom or Coach. Hope your DD has a great season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back