Big Gymnastics Meet Viewing Etiquette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have never attended a large elite meet before but am considering getting tickets for the Classic in Chicago at the end of May. Can anyone tell me if people are expected to stay seated during a big meet like this? I was thinking of buying cheap tickets and then just walking around the arena to get a better look at various events but I wasn't sure if this would be frowned upon.

Thanks in advance!

I have never attended a large elite meet before but am considering getting tickets for the Classic in Chicago at the end of May. Can anyone tell me if people are expected to stay seated during a big meet like this? I was thinking of buying cheap tickets and then just walking around the arena to get a better look at various events but I wasn't sure if this would be frowned upon.

Thanks in advance!

The Classic is held at UIC Arena which is a large indoor stadium. I think that UIC uses it for basketball in the winter. So there is stadium seating. If you are sitting in the bottom of the arena, the only place to walk around is at the top where you enter. Think of a big ring running around the top of the seats. You can peer down at the podium but it's not close.

You can purchase tickets for the upper level. We've done that the last few years and they are often as expensive as the main floor seats. But its a great view as we were able to sit right in the middle and were able to see every event. The viewing angle is a bit strange but my oldest daughter (L9) was still able to critique the routines and tricks.

Guess I'd better order our tickets!!!!!

yes, you can do that. you just can't wander around on the competitive floor.:)

I usually just read, but I had to create an account to respond to this. I took my daughter to the Cover Girl Classic last year. We purchased seats the day of and ended up right along the floor, near the bars. She was super excited about this because we had a great view. During warm ups, any time Shawn Johnson or Alicia Sacramone would be anywhere near our area there would be about 40 girls and their parents swarming the area in front of us screaming for autographs and trying to catch their attention.

Then, she couldn't see Shawn Johnson compete bars because those same people were all back standing in front of us when it came time for her to compete. She also missed one of her personal favorite gymnasts compete bars because the meet was pretty much over and a gymnast (can't remember who, sorry) made the mistake of signing an autograph and boy did the flood gates open after that.

It was unbelievably frustrating and my daughter was very disappointed. So, my advice is to be aware of and fair to the people around you who purchased the more expensive tickets (and if I remember correctly, I was surprised that they weren't really all that expensive).

It was our first big meet and I will definitely purchase tickets for an upper level this year.

were you on the vault side or the opposite? i know this arena well. i'm trying to picture where this was that you couldn't move about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back