Parents Blisters- no grips allowed, what to do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
Hi- My older daughter (9) has been getting really bad blisters from the bars. At her level, they're not allowed to wear grips yet. We've got some good treatment for when she gets them but they don't heal in time for the next class and hurt and open up again. Is there anything else we can cover her hands or blisters with when she has to do bars? What do you y'all do?
Band-aids don't cut it.

Can she use a bandaid with athletic tape over it? My kids have done that in the past when they were younger.

I think a few parents tried that liquid bandaid stuff, but I was never brave enough to attempt it with my kids... I don't remember whether it worked?

You can also try a pumice stone as calluses, etc, build up in order to thin them a bit. And cut away dead skin near previous rips. That seemed to maybe help prevent some for my DD when rips were at their worst.

Here's an old thread I just found with some general tips:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/rips.47001/

Lots of other old threads on rips, too. :)

My daughter would wear tape grips over rips before her group was put in palm guards. Her coach made her a pair and she would re-use them, replacing only the tape around the wrists each time she wore them.

Thanks experienced gym parents! I'll look at adding athletic tape. And will look up how to make tape grips.

Yep athletic take with pre wrap under works well! Also we use Joshua Tree Gymnast Salve on her hands at night and wrap them, it helps the rips to heal faster.

Agree with grip made of tape with prewrap underneath for over blisters and painful rips.

I put coconut oil on son's rips. Also for fried hands, coconut oil and socks on hands on overnight.

I was gonna say, rips definitely still happen with grips, (they help the grip but don't prevent the rip)

For DD, I use a&d ointment and sports tape...they're pretty much healed the next day. DD will tape them sometimes, but bars are her favorite so she kind of doesn't care....she's still do bars if half her fingers were falling off :)

Depending on where a rip is, I've heard Vaseline and with an unused water balloon over it. Then covered with prewrap and tape. I think it's supposed to protect the rip from more friction at practice, but it might only be appropriate for a wrist rip, and those are probably more common in higher levels.

I was gonna say, rips definitely still happen with grips, (they help the grip but don't prevent the rip.

This is so true! My DD went through L8 (one meet) with no grips and never really had a rip until she got grips.

Secret to no rips: a pumice stone and a really good hand moisturizer. Let them sit in the tub until they get 'pruny', then rub their calluses with a pumice stone to remove the dead skin. Once out of the tub, use a good hand cream ( We always used Extreme Hand Repair by beauticontrol). We were told to keep the hands soft, but there are others who say otherwise; however it worked for my DD. And I'll add that when she did finally rip, it was around her cuticles.

My dd doesn't callus and so she still uses tape grips under her actual grips to keep from ripping. Now that she is level 9/10 it's all about the wrist rips and that's another gory beast all together. Yikes!

My dd doesn't callus and so she still uses tape grips under her actual grips to keep from ripping. Now that she is level 9/10 it's all about the wrist rips and that's another gory beast all together. Yikes!

Yep. My DD hardly ever ripped before grips. But now she's got some beauties on her wrists. She started using a friction cream we picked up at Sports Authority awhile back that REALLY helped!! And her teammates regularly steal it. :D It's made for blisters from shoes rubbing, but hey whatever works.

My daughter had a similar problem I will try the friction cream. In the meantime I love the new chalk I purchased online... it's called unicorn dust and it's made by friction Labs it is a extremely high quality Bar Chalk originally made for climbers

Try Cross Fixe Hands , my dd thinks this is the best thing for rips and blisters you just rub it on , it comes like a stick and very easy to use .

Once rip heals - buff down caluses, put a few drops vitamin E oil & soft, fingerless gloves to sleep in every night - since we started doing this, DD has had no rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back