Parents Boy's Development

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MrsB

Proud Parent
I have two boys in gymnastics, age 5 and 6. They have both been attending since pre-school and love it. Their current gym does not have a development squad but may start one in September.

They went to a fun day session at another gym over the holidays as I needed childcare that day and their own gym wasn't running anything. When I collected them I was approached by the coach of that gym's development squad to say they both had lots of potential and she would like them to trial for the development squad. I explained we were at another gym and she said ok but have a think about it.

This other gym is further away, and the boy's programme seems quite new there. Ideally I would like my boys to stay at their current gym as it has a good record, they have fab coaches and it's a nice facility which is closer, but as I said they have no boys development squad!

I'm worried if I keep waiting to see if their current gym starts up a development group it may be too late and I will have ruined their chances at another gym, as most development groups seem to be from age 4-6. Both of my boys want to be on a squad, they love gym!

I considering seeing if they could train with the new gym once a wk (their dev group is once a week for 2hrs) and keep up a general class at the current gym, but I wasn't sure if that was the done thing or would be allowed. I'm also not sure if I should mention to their current gym that they have been asked to try out at another gym.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I would really like a parent and coach perspective please!

Thanks!

Does there current gym do boys competitive gym? Sounds like it doesn't if they don't do development.
If so I'd move them, no reason to stay if they want to continue and there isn't anything at the current gym to continue to.
I would let the current gym know and that you have been very happy there, but you are moving as they aren't offering what your boys need.
The gym may be ready to start up a boys competitive squad and let you know about that, or they may not.

They do boys competitive gym - they have a very successful programme, but due to current coaching capacity they have no development, youngest squad boys are 10. I just don't know whether to keep waiting, they do enjoy their current gym or take the plunge and move, when I don't really want them to move, and if their current gym had development there's no way I would even consider moving! But at the same time I don't want them to miss their chance to compete.

I would say to your coach exactly what you say above. See what they say. And tell them that if they do start a suitable squad for your boys you would be very interested but that you can't wait forever just in case. 10 is quite a late start for competition training really. And praise them for giving your boys a love of gymnastics that has made them want to go on and do more.

Hi

If you tell your current gym that another gym is interested you may get an idea if they have any plans for your boys. You do have a bit of time as boys dont compete until the year they are 8 in the UK.

Thanks, has anyone ever had their children train at 2 different gyms or is this a conflict of interest?

Someone on the site has two girls at two different gyms. It works for them and it can be done but the amount of driving involved would be too much for me.

I think that it would be at least frowned upon to have the same kid at two different gyms if both gyms have competitive teams. 10 does seem really old to me to have DS just starting for competitive; but it sounds like it isn't that far off where you are. I would personally talk to the new gym and be upfront. Ask what their plans are, if they will have anything for younger boys so that they can start competing at 8.

These boys were in development at 5 and started competing at 8, they just haven't ran a development group since. I just don't know how late I can leave it. I guess they pick up lots of bad habits in general as there are so many kids in the class, whereas they get more attention on form and conditioning in development, and I think the longer they are in general the more bad habits they will potentially get.

I'd have a chat with them. I'd say with boys you can probably safely leave it til 7, you can just about with girls so boys should be fine.

If you move without discussing you can bet they'll start up a development team the day after you leave :D. So I'd tell them what the other gym said and ask what's best. If they're genuine and aren't planning anything suitable then they'll tell you to move. If their lowest age group is 10 though they should be looking at a new intake soon, or they'll have no young competitors and their excellent program will be no more.

While I think it is possible to train at 2 different gyms, it's generally frowned upon in the UK (unless a temp thing). It get's complicated with BGA membership etc. But if your kids do development at one gym, there'd be no point staying in rec at the other- they'll be doing enough, and as you say they may pick up bad habits, or the coaching technique may be different. Many good coaches spend a lot of time with development kids working on form and perfection, and building up to skills. If they then go to general and start chucking stuff that's all their hard work undone! I know one of our coaches was furious when a girl went on holiday and her older sister taught her to front somi into a pool- all his hard work setting her up to perform it with correct technique gone!

It's actually becoming more common for kids to train at more than one gym, mainly I suspect because the popularity of gymnastics has grown a lot and most gyms have waiting lists. If you look at the BG website, membership section, they have addressed this now and specifically say that you can train at more than one gym. All you have to do is phone them up and they will add another gym to your child's membership. My daughter did this for a short time, way back when she was in rec. She had been on the waiting list for our preferred gym for months and was offered a place in a different one. When a 2nd place came up she did both classes for about five months. When she was offered a chance to go in to 'squad' she obviously had to choose. I also know of other children who currently, openly train at more than one gym and the coaches are aware of it. What you absolutely can't do is compete for two clubs, so once on team you need to commit. AND, you absolutely must be honest and open about it with the gym/s in question. As long as you are, you should find that they are ok with it, but gyms will vary and some might not like it.

Oh Yes, especially it you live in a small rural community :rolleyes:

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Well I think wherever you live tbh. Our gym is in a city. If the gym classes are full and your child is keen then it's going to happen and I found the coaches actually quite supportive and keen to accommodate. I guess it's only ever going to be temporary - I can't think of any circumstances where it would last long?

yea it would be temporary. I am considering letting them trial for development at the new club but keeping up one general at their current club until September, and then if their current club hasn't started a development group and if this was what they still wanted to do I would consider moving them. Just a pain that it's further away and not the club they started at. Or just waiting until September and being patient and maybe encouraging them to do another activity in the meantime. Maybe trampolining or athletics? Anything to encourage form and flexibility?

I would definitely speak to the current club first and tell them what you are thinking. Like others have said, it may be that the problem will be solved sooner than you thought and you don't need to worry. After that it's up to you I guess. September isn't far away and your boys are young. Looking back to when we did it daughter was just starting out and we had no thoughts of team or anything long term (ahh innocent days). She just want to do another class and they were all full at our gym and the place came up at another but they were each only an hour. It was different maybe. Not sure I'd do the same for a 'development' place...definitely try and find a solution within the gym first, but it is "allowed" if it's what you decide you have to do.

I'd ask the coach about Level 4. It's easy. A lot of have a joke that many boys can be ready to compete in 3-6 months in L4 (well except for circles, probably). Only reason to have development groups is to offer more spots that do not take as many hours as team. It's also good for 4-5 year olds who cannot compete yet.

Or just waiting until September and being patient and maybe encouraging them to do another activity in the meantime. Maybe trampolining or athletics? Anything to encourage form and flexibility?

That's a good idea if you're wanting to wait until september. Keeps them "fresh" for a bit longer, and the chance to try other sports while they still can :), before they only have time for gymnastics. Dance is always good for gymnasts. Ballet if they'll allow, but peer pressure these days often means boys lean more towards hip hop and street dance. Acro is fairly popular in the UK too. Trampolining good for obvious reasons. Swimming if they're not already, essential life skill and surprisingly very good for shoulder flexibility and arm strength.

My son and daughter started gymnastics when they were 6 1/2 - just a 45 minute class per week in the summer. The gym had a pre-team for girls so my daughter was invited to that at the beginning of fall. At that time the gym told us that our son also had potential and they were going to create a pre-team for boys. They suggested we sign our son up for two 1 hours rec sessions per week. During the winter they moved all the boys that would eventually be on the pre-team into the same 2 per week rec classes and made them an 1.5 hour long. It took a year for the gym to create the pre-team but they helped progress these boys by having them work together in the rec program. Their session was more focused on building the skills needed for pre-team. It sounds like you want to stay in your current gym. I would propose to the gym owner the idea of grouping the boys targeted for team/pre-team in the same more focused rec classes. It worked well for us. Good luck!

I think if your current gym has a good competitive boys program they have to be thinking about having a preteam group sooner than later if their youngest current competitive boys are 10. I would ask again. Especially with you having 2 boys. You like it there, it is more convenient, and they have a good track record for the older boys. I would really try to stay if I was you. If they never had a competitive group, and were just talking about maybe starting their first developmental group, my advice would be different.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll leave them where they are for the moment, and by the summer I should hopefully have an idea if the gym has any plans for them, if not I will let them trial at another gym and see how they get on and if they like it. I'd rather change in the summer to let them get used to any change while they don't have to contend with school as well! But fingers crossed their current gym will start something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back