Braces and Supports?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello,

I'm new to gymnastics, and I think it is a lot of fun, but my elbows and wrists hurt for days after practice. As a result I can only practice once every week and a half or so. I won't be able to improve without more consistent practice, so I was wondering are there braces or supports of some kind for elbows and wrists that gymnasts use during practice? Thanks

There are a lot of braces available online, but to be honest I don't think that sore wrists and elbows are a cause for brace use. They should only be used if someone is in really bad pain, or is not able to complete their tasks. I would recommend stretching your wrists more :)

More than likely your joints just not have acclimated to the wear and tear of gymnastics.

Besides time, your joints simply need to get stronger though they do need enough time to recuperate between training sessions.

For your elbows and shoulders, think pushups and pullups to help bent arm strength.

As for the wrists, they need time to get stronger. It's something they will adapt to.

Some wrist conditioning may help such as:

Bucket of rice or beans. Practice submerging your hands in the bucket and practice grasping. 50-150x a session every other day.

Simply doing support work in straight arm plank/pushup or HS on the wall. It hurts but needs to be built up to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back