Parents Ice pack usage during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wonder what would be considered appropriate usage of ice pack during practice? Right after a minor fall/injury? Is it appropriate to repeatedly use ice pack (presumably to relieve discomfort/pain) during practice between runs?

If some area hurts or at least has discomfort during practice, should one stop practice/use such area until it doesn't hurt throughout a regular practice, vs. repeatedly ice the area while participating a regular practice? In case it matters, I am talking about Xcel gymnast up to maybe plantium or diamond.

Thanks!

Our coaches stop them from continuing if they need ice. It's a bad idea to ice, then do another run through because now you're working with cold muscles. If they need ice during practice it's time to stop for the day.

If our gymnasts are icing... then they will not be allowed to return to practice without a full warm up. Ice usage in the gym is fairly rare. We do have a couple of L10's that ice at home (shin splints... etc).

Thank you for your comments. I noticed some such behavior at my DD's gym. I have no control of what other girls do or what their coaches do, but I will try to educate my DD on this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back