Parents Bridges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Twinmom

Proud Parent
My girls are 4 1/2 and were recently moved up to the class for 5 & 6 year olds. They can both do bridges easily and (to my untrained eye) pretty well. They do several bridges as part of their class & one of my girls is now working on elevating one of her legs for 5-10 seconds to learn to kick over. I have read here that it is not recommended for girls to do bridges before the age of 5. Should I be concerned? Our gym has a very good reputation, but I'm a little confused by this & I don't want to be that annoying parent who questions the coach...:eek:

what's funny and ironic about this is that it's in the safety exam AND in the new U100 (have i got that right?) fundamentals of gymnastics instruction. it's even a question on the exam. it states under 5. and i say it should be closer to 6 just in case and because there is no rush on this particular skill. press handstands and rope climbs and cast handstands on a single bar are far more important long term than a stupid back bend at 4 1/2 years old. that's all.:)

what's funny and ironic about this is that it's in the safety exam AND in the new U100 (have i got that right?) fundamentals of gymnastics instruction. it's even a question on the exam. it states under 5. and i say it should be closer to 6 just in case and because there is no rush on this particular skill. press handstands and rope climbs and cast handstands on a single bar are far more important long term than a stupid back bend at 4 1/2 years old. that's all.:)

That sounds pretty official! ;)
should I tell that to their coach...? :boggled:

don't tell them. just ask if they have taken the safety exam and the U100 fundamentals of gymnastics instruction course.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back