Broad Shoulders - Good or Bad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, my mom told me that I have broad shoulders - it's just our body type - but I noticed it makes me look a little wider than normal kids my age. My coach says its good for gymnastics, that I have the perfect body type, but I feel like I'm out of place. So here is my main question: Do most gymnasts have broad shoulders?

Not most, but definitely a significant amount. We develope them from doing strength so they become more pronounced as well. You're completely normal I assure you. I'm a member of the broad-shoulder club and its a fab club to be in, it helps with gymnastics quite a bit.

Look at the 2012 U.S. Olympic gymnastics womens team. Most of the girls have rather broad shoulders, especially Gabby. Nothing to worry about.

Think an upside down triangle- that's a pretty accurate representation of my body shape! Very broad shoulders here- good for bars!

Add me to the broad shoulders (and no hips) party! It's helpful on bars and I also find it helps get way more power off the vaulting table. But really, body type only takes you so far-it's your drive and work that makes you a good gymnast.

So, my mom told me that I have broad shoulders - it's just our body type - but I noticed it makes me look a little wider than normal kids my age. My coach says its good for gymnastics, that I have the perfect body type, but I feel like I'm out of place. So here is my main question: Do most gymnasts have broad shoulders?
It all depends on whether you are in artistic, acrobatic, tumbling, trampolining etc. As a base in acro, it it considered a good thing to have broad shoulders, as it means you are generally able to adapt your body to lifting, holding and throwing the top or middle. a top can too have broad shoulders, but the body is usually a lot smaller in comparison.

tl;dr bases should have broad shoulders, tops should too but small body in comparison

source: me, I'm a base

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back