Parents BWO beam deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the level 5 BWO beam deduction? DD keeps going off to the right. She can do it on the floor but misses 50% of time on beam.

If both feet get on and she falls it is .5....if one foot doesn't make it on it is a whole tenth, because she didn't get credit for the skill.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1488941123.200391.jpg

In optionals she will only need to get one foot on for the skill to count and then it is a .5 deduction for the fall. In level 5 if she fell without getting a foot on I would take up to the value of the element for an incomplete element depending on what she did before she fell...in this case it is up to .6 plus .5 for the fall plus any execution and amplitude deductions (bent legs, staggered hands, no continuous leg lift, insufficient split, etc). If she got a foot on I would just take execution/amplitude plus the fall.

In optionals she will only need to get one foot on for the skill to count and then it is a .5 deduction for the fall. In level 5 if she fell without getting a foot on I would take up to the value of the element for an incomplete element depending on what she did before she fell...in this case it is up to .6 plus .5 for the fall plus any execution and amplitude deductions (bent legs, staggered hands, no continuous leg lift, insufficient split, etc). If she got a foot on I would just take execution/amplitude plus the fall.

Yes, this. Level 5 - missed feet in BWO is usually around 1.1 in deductions or more [emoji22]

What is the level 5 BWO beam deduction? DD keeps going off to the right. She can do it on the floor but misses 50% of time on beam.
If both feet do not touch the beam, she loses credit for the skill plus the fall. If 1 foot gets on the beam, she gets partial credit for the skill (it counts), and she gets a fall deduction of .5. She will lose some tenths but it will count. If a she misses both feet and gets up and repeats the skill successfully, she gets credit for the skill and does not get a deduction for repeating the skill. If she gets 1 foot on and falls, then gets up and repeats the skill, she gets a deduction for doing the skill twice. Level 5 is not judged harder, there are just outlined deductions for every movement. Any skill that gets at least 1 foot on before a fall gets credit for the skill.

Sorry to hijack... I'm just a parent of a level 2 gymmie but trying to learn the sport. Is the info I posted above correct? I understand that it doesn't explain the deductions. I just want to make sure the reference I purchased doesn't have incorrect information.

Sorry to hijack... I'm just a parent of a level 2 gymmie but trying to learn the sport. Is the info I posted above correct? I understand that it doesn't explain the deductions. I just want to make sure the reference I purchased doesn't have incorrect information.

Did you purchase the JO Compulsory Book? The info is correct as far as specific Level BWO deductions , but it doesn't include the "general deductions" (flip to back of the book) that can/will be taken.

If both feet do not touch the beam, she loses credit for the skill plus the fall. If 1 foot gets on the beam, she gets partial credit for the skill (it counts), and she gets a fall deduction of .5. She will lose some tenths but it will count. If a she misses both feet and gets up and repeats the skill successfully, she gets credit for the skill and does not get a deduction for repeating the skill. If she gets 1 foot on and falls, then gets up and repeats the skill, she gets a deduction for doing the skill twice. Level 5 is not judged harder, there are just outlined deductions for every movement. Any skill that gets at least 1 foot on before a fall gets credit for the skill.
I know it's not really judged harder, but it sure felt like it. Bahahaha

image.jpeg
I personally think the COP is tough to decipher for those of us who are not coaches. It's tricky! Like when I first was trying to digest all this I thought that L6 cast requirement was only horizontal, and that is the Special Requiment, but then in the Required Technique section I learned that all optional casts subject to deduction if they're not to handstand.

image.jpeg
View attachment 6589
I personally think the COP is tough to decipher for those of us who are not coaches. It's tricky! Like when I first was trying to digest all this I thought that L6 cast requirement was only horizontal, and that is the Special Requiment, but then in the Required Technique section I learned that all optional casts subject to deduction if they're not to handstand.

So, she is supposed to test of of lvl 5 Sunday. She keeps leaning on her leg as soon as she starts to go Backwards on beam. I assume it's a fear block as she does it beautifully on the floor. So what could the total possible deduction be? Would she be better off taking the 0.5 deduction and have a spot? I am so worried the beam may kill her all around for upward mobility.

So, she is supposed to test of of lvl 5 Sunday. She keeps leaning on her leg as soon as she starts to go Backwards on beam. I assume it's a fear block as she does it beautifully on the floor. So what could the total possible deduction be? Would she be better off taking the 0.5 deduction and have a spot? I am so worried the beam may kill her all around for upward mobility.
Does the gym require a certain score? Because she technically only needs a 31, which is four 7.75s. Assuming her other events are decent, you should have a lot of room for error? Like with three 8.3s she'd only need a 6.1 on beam. If they think she's ready for optionals, I'm quite sure she can do that! Puma Jr is certainly NOT ready for optionals and she has gotten over 31 in L5. Good luck!!!

@consig, my daughter is in the same boat. She tests out of 5 in a couple of weeks. And she also struggles with beam although not as bad as at the beginning of the season when she had fears and wouldn't even do a handstand. I talked to her head coach the other day and even she said that the score doesn't need to be high and she feels confident that my dd can meet it (even with her sloppy beam form). I am sure your daughter will be more than fine if her gym wants her to move to 6!

Not much less of a deduction for a spot. Have faith, let her go for the BWO and take whatever deduction comes her way. As long as she is reasonably strong on the other events - a low beam score won't affect her scoreout - you only need 31AA. My DD scored out this past December and I am fairly certain she got a 7.0 on bars

The Head coach said no BWO, no competing. They opened up to lvl 5s since our girls were to score out and overbooked. She got both feet on beam today but fell. She was so excited. She is trying so hard and I am beyond heartbroken for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back