Camps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is going to U of Pittsburgh's camp in June. It's a day camp though, not sleep away. She is really excited to go see the "big girls" on Pitt's team! There is one other girl from DD's team that will be there. Her teammate is L7 (DD is L4), so they obviously won't be in the same group, but at least she will know a familiar face. This teammate is awesome about being encouraging of the younger girls, so DD is glad it's her that will be there. Was going to ask if anyone else has been there, but will probably start a new thread ;) DD wants to go to IGC next summer...I better start saving!

My 12 year old dd is going to IGC for her 3rd year. She loves the counselors and coaches. She was recovering from an injury each time she went, and the trainers there were excellent in keeping her in good shape. Many people criticize IGC for too much spotting, but my daughter never mentioned it.

Normally my DD would go to the University of Alabama's camp, however, she will not be going this year since she will be going to two TOPS camps at Karolyi's gym in April and July....so no funds for anything else!

i'm going to Canadian Adventure Camp (CAC)
one of mt friends from gym really liked it and its a lot easier because i wouldn't have to cross any borders to get there!

to "the gymnast": Sorry you don't have camps in Australia...these camps are so much fun for the girls, both that fact that they are usually like "sleepovers" and that is part of the enjoyment of it and also they get new skills taught differently than what they are used to. And they usually have camp "fun" things to do in the evenings as a group....oh, and of course, meeting new people who become instant friends.

Just paid the balance for Flip Fest! I guess it's official now. If she quits gym between now and July, too bad. She's going anyway. She's very excited about meeting Carly Patterson. But now because of Ms. Patterson's gymnastics accomplishments. No. She's excited because her name is Carly and Bella's fave TV show is iCarly. * sigh *

And I was also wondering if anyone has had an experience with Karolyi Camp..? One of my teammates went, but that was about 5 years ago (before I'd even started gymnastics), and one of my friends from FlipFest went 2 years ago.. Neither said good things about it :/ But I was just looking for some more opinions because I'm thinking about trying it maybe next year..

My daughter is going to the Karolyi Camp this summer with a couple of her friends. About 8 of her friends went last year & they all loved it. The biggest complaint was that they felt like there wasn't enough food. I plan on sending my DD with a bunch of nutrition bars.

Most of the girls we know, that went, are level 5's, so I'm not sure how it is for the higher levels. We do know one girl that goes for 2 weeks every summer & she competed level 7 this year. Her parents plan on sending her back again this summer.

My daughter will be attending the June 21st session, so I'll try to post her impressions when she returns.

I am going to Woodward for the first time this year! I am really excited and I can not wait to go! We have about 30 girls from my team that are going...I think it is week 2, but I could be wrong!

gymfan4ever you are gong to have such a blast. expecially if you are going with a bunch of teammates, it is a great time for team bonding and making memories you will never forget.

In Australia where i live there is no gymnastics camps at all ):

I have only ever heard of 1 gymnastics camp at waverly gymnastics centre in melbourne, so yes it is very annoying that there is NO gymnastics camps in Australia :'(

dd is going to the Desert Devils this summer but not for a camp but to work out with them. We try to arrange flip fest, but another parent took over and scheduled it for the only week we will be out of town!! We were looking forward to the bonding..but well..I guess that's not going to happen now!

DD is just doing day camp at her gym at some point. They do gym every morning and a different activity every afternoon (including trips to the beach, historic sites, movies etc.). The HC pulls out any team girls from morning sessions and trains with them separately, while all the other campers do rec stuff. So DD will get to keep training in the summer while also being occupied for the whole day, rather than me having to try to get her to and from the gym during my work day for only a few hours of training.

Sending her to a sleep over camp in the U.S. is so beyond the realm of possibility for us right now. If she ever reaches optionals and wants to train at a serious camp, then maybe. But I can't justify the expense for a fun camp.

Oldest dd is doing 3 camps this year.....Utah high performance camp at the University of Utah, our own mandatory camp :p, and Southern Utah University camp. youngest dd is just doing our gym's camp.

My girls are going to LSU in June. The youngest is going for the first time. She is 7. Her sister is 11 and going for the second time. I am 3 hours away but have family nearby. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back