Parents Can meets be cancelled/postponed due to heavy snowy weather?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Use it as an excuse to take a rest at home. Ice Skating will be on a TV, or movies, hot chocolate and an extra nap. An unexpected extra day at home is a treat!

Not the same thing, but our optional girls are competing at Sand Dollar this weekend. They were supposed to leave tomorrow morning, but we are expecting snow/ice/etc tomorrow here and all flights were cancelled already. So they apparently just rented some minivans and are driving down tonight before the storm starts. It made me think about this discussion when I heard about them. I'm glad they were able to get out of town before it started though!

I'm not surprised that the ones in the NE aren't being cancelled while the ones farther south are.

We simply aren't equipped to clear roads as effectively in areas like my current one (region 8) where there isn't as much snowfall. Also, almost none of us know how to drive in snow and those of us who have driven in snow before generally don't have regular practice. It's been over a decade since I last drove in snow!

I'm not surprised that the ones in the NE aren't being cancelled while the ones farther south

Also, there's not going to be as much snow farther up. PA and MD and maybe VA declared a state of emergency, but I don't think NY and north are expecting 18"

I'm sure the more northern states getting less snow this time around is part of it too.

Another part though: My entire city shuts down when there's 1" of snow, let alone a foot. I think we have one snowplow for the 2nd largest city in the state. A few people still drive (I'm not sure to where), but the roads outside of very main downtown roads don't get cleared at all.

But we also don't get snow of any quantity more than once every 3-4 years.

We have gone forward around here with a foot plus but as music mama says, it's also about having the means and experience to deal with it.

My sister lives in a southern-ish state, and tells me every year that they don't have the ability to deal with the snow. I joke that if it is every year....then they need to get used to it and learn to deal with it. I realize that this isn't the case wtih most southern states, but I do like to joke with my sister about it

Apparently only when hades freezes over.

Use your judgement, but no refunds.

The problem is often that a large chunk of the revenue has already been spent. Venue rental, equipment rental, awards, gymnast gifts, etc. Can eat up 50% or more of the entry fees and are paid out/ordered well before the weather is forecast for their event weekend. :( It is a really tough situation for a meet director to be in.

Scheduled meets won't get money in from admission fees, concessions, vendor sales etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back