WAG Can shoulders be too flexible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has (in my opinion) very flexible shoulders. She can almost go all the way down to the floor when she does the eagle stretch. It seems to freak a lot of people out when she does it. She also seems to be able to "pop" her shoulder out (for lack of a better description). Is this cause for concern? My theory is that she knows she gets attention for it so she does it more or emphasizes it. Just curious.

She also seems to be able to "pop" her shoulder out (for lack of a better description). Is this cause for concern?

I'd tell her to show her coach. If the coach is reasonably experienced and thinks it's bad for her shoulder then she should stop doing it. If the coach encourages more, I'd look for a second opinion or ask her doctor the next time she's in for a routine exam..... or injured shoulder. :oops: and :eek:

DD has super flexible shoulders. Last spring they started popping out of joint as she was doing uprises - the flexibility didn't hurt but the popping out at times did (when it popped back in). Coach said to get it checked out. We went to the sports doc, who advised it is hyper ligamentous laxity.

He gave her excercises to keep her shoulder strong, and said she may have issues in the future, but that she'd be fine as long as she kept up with the excercises...... and no more showing off her ability to make other gymmies and moms squeal.

The coach said it is that flexibility that will be very beneficial on bars in her future, but that they would have to be careful as well.

you can never be to flexible as long as you have the 'strength' in that flexibility to support the elasticity.

That is exactly what my rubber-band girl was told.

With hypermobility, she should be working on stability & not "putting on a show" if that makes sense.

With hypermobility, she should be working on stability & not "putting on a show" if that makes sense.

Yes, exactly. There was one really gross thing my DS was doing with his shoulders (hard to describe, but he was more or less using his arms as a backwards jump rope), and when he showed his coach, his coach told him NOT to do that anymore because it would increase his chances of dislocating his shoulders (and not in the good way!) in the future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back