Canada Switching to USA Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Someone recently told me that within the next few years Canada will be switching over to US system of Compulsory Levels 1-6, then 7-10 Optionals.
Anyone know if there is any truth to this statement???

I have know idea, but i sure hope not! I like the way it is, and i kind of doubt it because Ontario is the only that uses it now (i think), but you never know.

Someone recently told me that within the next few years Canada will be switching over to US system of Compulsory Levels 1-6, then 7-10 Optionals.
Anyone know if there is any truth to this statement???

there has been talk of this when the compulsories change in 2012.

Where did this someone get the rumour from. I know Ontario uses a 10 level programme, I could see them gong that way. I have heard that they might be considering it.

It is hard to imagine the rest of Canada adopting this. I hope not!

Ah I had heard that about Ontraio as well. It doesn't really surprise me, Ontraio is becoming very strong and they are producing some wonderful gymnasts.

Looks like there is some truth to this then. That will be interesting for us as coaches to transition to the new program.

I agree Ontario has great gymnasts. Examples if anyone is interested:

Kristina Vaculik
Dominique Pegg
Jessica Savona

Really hoping to see some of these athletes at 2012 Olympics.

Oakville gymnastics is looking very strong and Gemini has always produced some beautiful gymnastics.

Ontario did very well implementing their 10 level programme, I have been impressed when I see the girls compete at Gymnix. But I have to say the compulsories will be a tough sell to girls, and parents, who have enjoyed having their own, optional style, routines.

Going back to the 10 scoring system would be nice, plus the ability for clubs to take their girls cross border competing is a big selling point. Just imagine taking your group of L3 L4's to Disney for the SandDollar meet, how much fun would that be?

Assuming that this is going to happen, coach education plans should be kicking in very soon as there seems to be a lot to learn.

Yes I agree. I believe Kelly Manjack is at Oakville coaching. Also Kristina Vaculik trains at Gemini if I am not mistaken.

If the switch does occur, you are absolutely right - coaches need some major lessons. And it will be sad to see the individual chorepgraphy go. On the plus, a 10 scoring system is easier for most to understand, and routines should be easier to teach.

Yes I agree. I believe Kelly Manjack is at Oakville coaching. Also Kristina Vaculik trains at Gemini if I am not mistaken.

This is correct. They are really developping a deeper pool of talent. Hopefully we are going to see many more girls who can make the leap from being great juniors to wonderful seniors. We seem to lose lots of them due to injury etc.

I agree, even after all this time I spend most if my time at meets telling the poor parents how it works and what it means. Still remembervthe first meet with FIG and one mom was thrilled when her DD got a 9.6, she thought it was gold for sure! Busting that bubble was crap!

The 10 certainly was simple.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back