Off Topic Career choice. Just a phase?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really want to be a detective when I am older. But in order to do that I must be promoted from patrol officer first. it’s pretty new, started about a month ago, and I still have a ways to go I am freshman in high school currently. There are just multiple factors im thinking of. I’m currently watching a police drama so I feel like it might be a phase because the show is glamorizing this line of work, but I also feel like this job will help people. And I want a job that does that. I also don’t know if I am physically and mentally strong enough for the academy. i know that for strength I can start training in college while getting a degree before the academy. And also, for anyone that knows, in the academy does almost everyone have knowledge on guns and the parts and how to use them before the academy teaches it, because I am confident I won’t know anything about that before the academy. Same for fist and physical fighting. Should I take lessons in martial arts before the academy? But yeah I just want to know how I will know it’s just a phase.

Since this is a gymnastics forum, I'll pull from the lessons we teach in gymnastics. Your question could easily be rephrased in terms of training for a long-term gymnastics goal. Say you watched a D1 gymnastics competition on TV and were really inspired. "I want to do that when I grow up!" Then you learn that in order to realistically achieve this goal, you will need to put in A LOT of work. Like...an insane amount of work. Then you learn that most people who put in all the hard work never end up competing D1.

These facts might feel very discouraging. What is the point of dreaming big if the chances of achieving the dream are so low? Here's a secret: a big dream is composed of lots of small dreams. The big dream might be close to impossible to achieve, but the small dreams are possible. Here's another secret: you are allowed to change your big dream whenever you want. Modifying a dream doesn't mean that you have failed, it just means that you (or the world around you) has changed and your original dream doesn't make sense anymore.

How do people climb to the top of Mount Everest? One step at a time. What happens when people can't make it top the top? They climb up as far as they can go and enjoy the view.

I suspect that in your journey to becoming a detective, you will learn a lot of things along the way. Even if you don't ever become a detective, you will be smarter, stronger, and wiser than when you started. No matter where you are in your journey, remember that there is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Just don't forget to enjoy the view!

But how can I tell if this is just a phase because I’m watching some tv show about it or if it should actually be a consideration for my career?

It’s probably a phase. Phases are fun. Only time can tell. There is no harm in exploring the idea now and if your enthusiasm wanes exploring the next thing. As long as you are not taking out massive amounts of student loans to pursue a career idea, there really is no risk. Dream away!

It’s probably a phase. Phases are fun. Only time can tell. There is no harm in exploring the idea now and if your enthusiasm wanes exploring the next thing. As long as you are not taking out massive amounts of student loans to pursue a career idea, there really is no risk. Dream away!
It wont really cost me anything to be a cop. Just college tuition to get a degree like normal and maybe a gym membership to prepare for the academy. Then I apply and if I get the job the department pays for me at the academy AND pays me a starting salary during my time there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back