Cartwheel on beam troubles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lately I have been having trouble with my cartwheel on beam. I have been practicing on a low beam with panel mats on either side but I just can't seem to get it. I have a good cartwheel on the floor, as well as on a line, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I start doing the cartwheel, i do exactly as I'm supposed to (lever into it, etc) but when my feet are coming down to land, they always seem to land on the panel mat... I'm sorry if this is vague, but I really need help with this because I need this skill for the upcoming season. :( does anyone know how to help? Thank you :)

Make sure you are kicking straight over the top instead of around the side. A good drill for this is to set up 2 blocks next to each other with a narrow gap in between them (make sure you can stand between them) and do your cartwheel through the gap.

Do the cartwheel at the same speed and rhythm you use on the floor. That's the cartwheel you know best and it will be the easiest and safest one for the beam.

There's only one right way to do a cartwheel, the way you do it on floor. If you change the the speed by more than a teensie bit you end up doing a completely different skill that only resembles a cartwheel. the same applies to changing the rhythm by slowing down as your feet come over the top and down to the beam.

Consider it like this. If your coach asked you to do 5 lines of five cartwheels would you do them the floor way or the beam way. You'd automatically choose the floor version because you know it's the easier of the two.

Be lazy and do it on beam the same as on floor because it's easier.

I always try to look at both of my armpits (if that's not weird =P) because it helps me stay straight. One day after falling off many times one of my coaches had told me to look straight ahead when finishing. I was watching my first leg lunge (like a BWO) but it turns out it really helped me to look straight ahead once I finished. I hope this helps you a bit! (P.S. thanks for the advice!)

I always try to look at both of my armpits (if that's not weird =P) because it helps me stay straight. One day after falling off many times one of my coaches had told me to look straight ahead when finishing. I was watching my first leg lunge (like a BWO) but it turns out it really helped me to look straight ahead once I finished. I hope this helps you a bit! (P.S. thanks for the advice!)

To get us (me and a teammate) to get our chests up finishing our vaults my coach taped a picture of Justin bieber on the back of the vault. Not that I like looking at a shirtless Justin, but it made us get concept of chest up.

To get us (me and a teammate) to get our chests up finishing our vaults my coach taped a picture of Justin bieber on the back of the vault. Not that I like looking at a shirtless Justin, but it made us get concept of chest up.
Haha I like that idea (even though I too would not want to look at a shirtless Justin Bieber!) XD ;)

Hi you could also try the T hand placement! That's worked wonders for me! Just place your second hand fingers facing your first hand that way they make a T. Also reach forward (which will come naturally with a good lever) and be confident! When your legs are coming down look through your armpits to the other end of the beam, not at your feet landing. You should just see them out of the corner of your eye. Also sometimes the problem with the panel mats is that you don't have to get your feet on so you use the panel mats as a safety net... maybe just try it on a low beam no panel mats! Sorry I know this is like three weeks late, I'm new here don't really know when a post is over lol

Hi you could also try the T hand placement! That's worked wonders for me! Just place your second hand fingers facing your first hand that way they make a T. Also reach forward (which will come naturally with a good lever) and be confident! When your legs are coming down look through your armpits to the other end of the beam, not at your feet landing. You should just see them out of the corner of your eye. Also sometimes the problem with the panel mats is that you don't have to get your feet on so you use the panel mats as a safety net... maybe just try it on a low beam no panel mats! Sorry I know this is like three weeks late, I'm new here don't really know when a post is over lol
It's ok! That really helps, thank you. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back