WAG Cast handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kylie

Gymnast
Does anyone have tips/drills for getting my shoulders/butt over in my cast handstand? No matter how hard I try, my weight is always behind the bar. I’ve already done the drills where’re you jump to handstand and birdie pitch to handstand. Anyone know how to help?

some ideas I have for next steps could be
1. cast to straddle stand/birdie pirch on the bar and forward roll off the bar onto mats - count how many times you can make it go over the bar in a row to improve at the skill of placing your shoulders over the bar - 5-10 in a row, revisit if you start falling back again

2. cast straddle on followed by a jump towards straddle handstand - can always dump over like 1. if you end up in an awkward situation

3. this one should be a constant... do straddle presses or an exercise for straddle presses on a regular basis - unless you have a super duper kip that swings up so fast you skip the press action... actually even if you do, more pressing strength is always an advantage.

Joining this tread because I also want to get to a cast handstand.

1. cast to straddle stand/birdie pirch on the bar and forward roll off the bar onto mats - count how many times you can make it go over the bar in a row to improve at the skill of placing your shoulders over the bar - 5-10 in a row, revisit if you start falling back again
What is a birdie pirch? I only find squat on drills with that name when I look it up.

3. this one should be a constant... do straddle presses or an exercise for straddle presses on a regular basis - unless you have a super duper kip that swings up so fast you skip the press action... actually even if you do, more pressing strength is always an advantage.
Any advise which exercises in particular?

Joining this tread because I also want to get to a cast handstand.

What is a birdie pirch? I only find squat on drills with that name when I look it up.

Any advise which exercises in particular?
Like a cast into straddle stand on the bar.

For press exercises... it depends on your current strength and flexibility capability - here are some that aren't hard to modify harder/easier.

1. Straddle-L hold on parallettes or your preferred surface
2. Negative Press: Handstand, middle split, pike down to straddle-L ideally, straddle-stand is ok - slower the better. Can use a wall if you can't free-handstand
3. Press against wall from standing straddle: face towards wall, reach down to a standing straddle stretch, then lean shoulders against wall and press to handstand

Like a cast into straddle stand on the bar.

For press exercises... it depends on your current strength and flexibility capability - here are some that aren't hard to modify harder/easier.

1. Straddle-L hold on parallettes or your preferred surface
2. Negative Press: Handstand, middle split, pike down to straddle-L ideally, straddle-stand is ok - slower the better. Can use a wall if you can't free-handstand
3. Press against wall from standing straddle: face towards wall, reach down to a standing straddle stretch, then lean shoulders against wall and press to handstand
Thanks a lot for your reply :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back