Cast Handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last year I did cast handstands with my legs together, but bent and I was horribly arched. This year I did straddle cast, but it just looks funny and I usually go over as well (and my legs never really come together).

I was considering going back to normal casts this year, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get to handstand w/ out cheating on the way up (arching, bending legs)

I have quite a long time to learn this so any long term drills and tips that might make my cast better in the future would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Upper body strength coupled with lower back strength.

For the lower back, a machine called a reverse-hyper would be ideal but you can also do weighted superman leg lifts/reverse leg lifts. Basically while lying on a pommel horse, block, or table, heel drive to vertical.

You can also set up two parallel bar blocks and lay your shoulders on them. Put the blocks just under the low bar on UB and while holding the bar, heel drive to vertical.

Upper body strength should consist of Handstand pushup variants, dips, and planche work beginning with planche leans and tuck planche and spotted planche to HS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back