cast to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

you got me there...french is not even my 1000th language.:)

you got me thinking of an old joke. [i'm old]

what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? trilingual

and who speaks 2?? bilingual

and who speaks 1? american. lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I said in French was the the word planche is French. The translation is plank, therefore the term planking would be the literal translation as a verb.

I assume that training the skill as in JAO's video has much value in gym and it has little to do with muscling skills.

Are straight cast hanstands a viable option for older girls just learning? It seems that she straddle cast requires less strength. Are straddles acceptable in USAG? Here they are fine at any level.

Last edited:
straddle cast are fine here...i may begin working them. thank you to everybody. i think that the insights are great. and i'm going to try many of them to see what will best work for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What I said in French was the the word planche is French. The translation is plank, therefore the term planking would be the literal translation as a verb.

I assume that training the skill as in JAO's video has much value in gym and it has little to do with muscling skills.

Are straight cast hanstands a viable option for older girls just learning? It seems that she straddle cast requires less strength. Are straddles acceptable in USAG? Here they are fine at any level.

In my opinion, a cast should first be taught in a tight arch. This is how I would introduce the skill, and how I would train it through around level 6.

At this point, I would allow the kids techniques to diverge, depending on their style and ability. For kids who can consistently cast to handstand in a tight arch with clean form, I would then have them work to transition to a hollow position as they reach the top to prepare for pirouettes. As they become more proficient with the skill, I would have them make the transition to hollow earlier.

For the kids who continue to struggle with a legs-together cast to handstand, I would begin training a straddled cast to handstand around level 6/7.

Also, how is the word "planche" pronounced in French? Is it supposed to rhyme with "launch" or with "ranch"? (I've always heard the latter pronunciation, but in light of what little I know about French, it seems like the former would make more sense)

Planche rhymes with ranch, though in certain parts of Quebec there is a varient in the accent and it can sound a bit more like "plownch".

They can't do a straddle cast in the compulsory routine without deduction. L7 and up straddle is fine (not elite, so for any compulsory testing, TOPs testing, Hopes, etc it's all straight body) but for most purposes anyway. Personally I can do both but I don't like to do straddle casts into giants. I only do them into turns. I don't straddle tap into giants, but plenty of girls do, and I think it can sometimes look sloppy to straddle up to handstand and then straddle into the tap, if it isn't done well. It's my pet peeve when the feet barely come together before they straddle again. But obviously that's somewhat unrelated. It can be done fine, I guess.

I learned a non straddle cast handstand first, for what it's worth. I don't think I even learned a straddle cast handstand until like L8, so I competed a cast handstand for a year or so before that. I was older, since I started gymnastics late, maybe 13 before I ever attempted a cast handstand. But in general, the straddle cast will probably be easier for older girls to learn. I'm not sure how much easier. If the timing is right, sure, but if not it's probably harder than just doing an ugly one with the legs together. In fact when I mess around I would rarely think to straddle cast. If I want to cast up without expending effort, I bend my legs.

They can't do a straddle cast in the compulsory routine without deduction. L7 and up straddle is fine (not elite, so for any compulsory testing, TOPs testing, Hopes, etc it's all straight body) but for most purposes anyway.

Wait, elites can't straddle cast? This is news to me; I seem to recall seeing plenty of elites straddle their casts.

she is speaking of the compusory routines and testing. but for optionals they can do either as you have seen.

Wait, elites can't straddle cast? This is news to me; I seem to recall seeing plenty of elites straddle their casts.

Don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. The tops test is straight body casts as far as I know. I thought I heard something about straddle casts not being allowed without deduction anymore for the FIG elite rules. But I don't really follow these things that much so I probably just confused it with something else.

Edit: I just did a little googling and it seems like it was about 2 years ago, they made a change over to a deduction of .3 for a straddle cast (don't know when it started, that was just about the date of stuff I brought up). Again, I'm not claiming to be the most reliable source on this issue, I don't follow international gymnastics closely, but I do watch a lot of bar routines and I have to say in the last few years I rarely see straddle casts in elite routines.

Edit again: also, some them do the quick hand hop to reverse grip with a straddle (not really a cali hop). I don't know if that is a deduction. Both Shawn Johnson and He Kexin did it (both straddled if I recall). Otherwise all the casts in their bar routine were straight body.

In NCAA the straddle cast is definitely the most popular. Might see straight body at the end of a routine into the final giants.

Last edited:
hi gymdog! there is no deduction, it just has no value. and straddle casts are still the predominant cast at all levels.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had seen some discussion of it in the comments of blogs like Gymnastics Coaching, so like I said, not the most reliable source, just random stuff. Since I see mostly straight body casts when I watch routines (granted I'm mostly watching good routines when it comes to that, so there's probably a correlation there) I assumed there was some benefit to doing it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back