Parents Changing Gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Am I asking for too much, being unreasonable? My daughter has been in competitive gymnastics for 1 year she has 2 years in recreational gymnastics another gym. She has completed her first season as a level 5 gymnast with much success, a 3rd place finish all-around, a few 1st all-around finishes too, including winning state. Her scores range from 36's, 37 and a 38. I am very proud of her. What's my problem? Well she is 13, we started late and I find myself wanting more for her, she had learned level 6 skills on floor and beam prior to attending the gym she is at now. She has made friends and likes her coaches they are good people but there were only 3 optionals and (sounding like a jerk) I have noticed girls that have lesser scores 34 and below moving up to level 6 and unfortunately during competitions not able to complete routines for fear of certain skills. I have talked with the coach twice regarding possibly moving my daughter to level 6 during the season and was refused; understandable. However now we're out of season (ended november) and no firm effort has been given to her training level 6 skills as of yet. I am not asking I want her to practice a yurchenko-full, but I'd like her challenged and see what can happen. I have looked at a couple other gyms with more structured and competitive programs but a 20 mile commute is required and the break up of her belonging to her first team. I would like to see how far my daughter can go in this sport and feel a change of gyms may be what's needed. Am I being too pushy?

She would like to compete at the college level, and there talk of the Olympics as well. I don't discourage any of her ambitions, I just like she has a drive. And she is reluctant about changing gyms, because of friends as well.

If she wants to continue on to optionals, she would probably be better served at a gym with more than 3 optionals. And yes, in the "off season" she should be training up for the next level. A gym without many gymnasts beyond level 6 probably isn't doing a lot of uptraining just because they don't really have very far to uptrain them to. Gym changes are hard, but ultimately she has to decide if she wants to change gyms in order to keep progressing.

Certainly, support your child's dreams, but do be aware that most if not all future olympians and even many future Div. I college gymnasts are level 10/Elite by age 13.

Thank you MaryA for your response. Yes I learned over the course of the year that my daughter was late getting into this wonderful sport. She also has told me that by 8th grade she should at least be level 8, although she hasn't let it get her down. Good news that one of the gyms that prefer their gymnasts younger and a program that has a number of optionals. Has agreed to try out my DD for a week.

Cgymdad -

Please be sure and go into this with your eyes wide open. A committment like this is a family committment that will impact everyone. To train the higher optional levels safely it is almost a 7-day a week gig. My Lvl 9 dd trains 6 days a week for at least 3.5 hours each day after a full day at the toughest college prep high school in the area. The skills get very tough and you MUST have coaches that can safely train the big skills.

Good Luck.

MeetDirector

Thanks. And I do worry as you stated optional level commitment and high school is a very tough combination. In addition to the commute. Hopefully I will have some posts later as to her decision and progress.

Gyms with small optional programs may not have coaches to uptrain during the compulsory "off season" because the optionals are in-season. If your DD really loves gymnastics and wants to continue, I would seriously consider a gym change.

My oldest started as an 8 year old level 4, by the time she reached level 8 she was 11/12, and we KNEW (for a couple of years) she needed to move. She refused- her first team, her friends, etc. My younger DD, by the time she was 10 years old KNEW that she had to leave her old gym (been there since age 4) to move ahead. She had big dreams of Div I, Elite, Olympics. We are now at the end of our 2nd year at the new gym, the commute is double what it used to be, the costs are probably double if not triple (meet expenses including travel), however, my younger one is over-the-moon happy with her new team. Older DD "retired" when we left the old gym, and now seeing her sister's success, wishes she had been willing to make the move.

Good luck to your daughter on trying out the new gym. I hope she likes it there and they like her. It certainly sounds like she has the drive to do well!

Gymmonkeymomma-

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Thank you for your and (everyone's) response it is refreshing to find some insight from others that share your interest. I also hope your older DD doesn't let the 'I wish I had of...' Get to her too much and has the opportunity to enjoy lil' sister's journey. :)

She would like to compete at the college level, and there talk of the Olympics as well. I don't discourage any of her ambitions, I just like she has a drive. And she is reluctant about changing gyms, because of friends as well.

well, something needs to happen fairly quick. she is a 13 year old level 5. college is not on the horizon unless something changes.

also, there is something about my observation that you know what a Yurchenko full is and you spelled it correctly. maybe it's nothing. but most parents in gymnastics for 3 years would have no idea what that was let alone knowing how difficult that vault is where you state that "your not asking" about her training this vault. just my observation. and maybe it's nothing.:)

dunno -

My DD love is gymnastics, next to Justin Bieber. (Ha) We will watch NCAA gymnastics or any gymnastics if its on tv, so It's something picked up I guess. And your right, it's a very difficult vault. Scary. I plan on talking with the coach today about my intentions.

tell her that i like Justina Beiber also! she has a great voice!! [Dunno will now get PM hate mail from the gymnast forum kids...] :)

dunno-

:) Lol. I will. I try to ban the CD from my car, unfortunately for me her gymnastics seems to get better the more she listens to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back