Parents Cheers to great coaching!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

esor

Proud Parent
Gymnast
I just have to give a shout out to great coaches! At our gym, we have what I would say are good coaches, who understand how to teach the skills at all levels. But, I have discovered that great coaches understand so much more!

Just before competition season started, we had a "new" coach come to our gym who is now the most experienced coach we have. His ability to understand a gymnasts head, and what they need, really highlighted the difference in his experience. My DD had a rough start with the transition from level 7 to 8. After he got involved, he immediately helped her make progress by "taking the stress away" - she no longer had to chuck skills she wasn't ready to do, and instead he has had her work progressions for the harder skills. He also focused on building confidence through constant feedback and repetition for all the girls.

The outcome for my DD - she is noticeably happier at the gym, to the point where other coaches have noticed it (she's only 10,so gym is still her life) . She went from scoring around a 34 AA to just shy of a 36, and all this with only throwing a handspring vault until her Yurichenko gets fixed :)

I had suspeceted there was another style and philosophy to this sport than what my DD has experienced so far, and I am so happy that we didn't have to switch gyms to find it.

And, I see now how great coaching can make such a difference!

I love our coach, he's a great guy all-around and an especially good fit for my DS. The more I read here, the more I realize how lucky we are to have such a fantastic coach from the start. I hope he stays around for many years.

I try to remember to thank him often and do little things to show my appreciation, like bringing him coffee once in awhile when I know he's having a busy or tough day. He spends more time with my child than I do and is a really important part of DS's life.

^^^which is why water is essential to life...COFFEE! :)

Reactions: sce
The outcome for my DD - she is noticeably happier at the gym, to the point where other coaches have noticed it (she's only 10,so gym is still her life) . She went from scoring around a 34 AA to just shy of a 36, and all this with only throwing a handspring vault until her Yurichenko gets fixed :)
!

:):):) This sport is so difficult, having a great coach really adds to the enjoyment (for the kids and parents!!)

Just as an FYI it's Yurchenko. So many people pronounce it the way you spelled it which is probably why you spelled it that way:D;) www.nataliayurchenko.com/innovations/yurchenko-vault

:):):) This sport is so difficult, having a great coach really adds to the enjoyment (for the kids and parents!!)

Just as an FYI it's Yurchenko. So many people pronounce it the way you spelled it which is probably why you spelled it that way:D;) www.nataliayurchenko.com/innovations/yurchenko-vault

I tease DD by telling her "yurchenko did stink-o". Of course, I would never say that for real and we have a very teasing relationship that I probably couldn't have with a more sensitive child but it makes her laugh when she is having bad vaulting days.

It is good to read posts like these :) 9 year old dd's coaches are great and seem to care about her so much. Every once in a while I let the CGM come out and criticize the coaches. Then, I remind myself how hard they work for so little money to help my daughter. They have helped shape her into a focused, determined and successful gymnast. They work so hard to help these kids reach their goals. I have countless photos from meets showing her coaches giving her high fives and big hugs. I know they are positive role models for her because she is always writing papers about them at school.

I love it when the coaches take the time to figure out the gymnast and meet them where they are at, not where the coach thinks they should be. I just don't think they always have the time.

That is wonderful! It is great to hear stories of so many coaches who truly love what they do and are making such an impact in their gymnasts lives!

Anytime I post pictures of my DD on FB following a particularly successful meet I always want to put #itsthecoaching. I never do it because someone told me "anyone over 40 should not use hashtags". Ha!! But I do thank them frequently, both verbally and with coffee!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back