Parents Chin up Bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,
I finally broke down and let my almost 7 year old daughter have a chin up bar for her doorway. We put it high enough up so that she had to stand on her toes to grasp it. She is not allowed to swing on it or do any flips of any kind. She's been doing well and has been getting stronger towards getting that pullover in class.

She wanted a full bar set but I asked her where we would put it. She told me the basement, but I told her the ceilings weren't high enough. So, she decided we could build her a gymnastics house in the back yard and get her a balance beam too. Of course, we explained how that was not possible......

Anyway, so here's my pain... Foolish me, after having the bar up for about 2 weeks and always remembering to duck, clocked myself twice last weekend coming out of her room. First I got myself on the bridge of my nose on Saturday. And, then on Sunday, I got myself on the upper right side of my head at the hairline. Thankfully it left no marks so I did not have to explain myself at work on Monday. I'm also ok.

So did I take it down? No! I'm just hoping that I learned my lesson. (laughs).

We have a pullup bar in the playroom too! and have done the same thing. Tho I think they forgot about it since they do not use the playroom much anymore (I soo need to get rid of most of the stuff in there)

We have a pull up bar for my husband hung from the ceiling in our basement. Whenever my girls can they do pull ups and I think it really does help their strength. I have been contemplating getting a low beam for our basement, but don't want to turn our home into a gym. I also don't want to put too much pressure on the girls to practice gym at home. As it is, it is like pulling teeth trying to get my 10 year old to work on some flexibility issues she has been having at home. Then again, I can really see a benefit of having one at home, so I don't know what we will do.

LOL....I like the idea of a gymnastics house in the back yard. We'll move next door. It sounds better than Bella's suggestion that we could move to the gym and live there. She was fine with just sleeping on a mat and didn't really seem to concerned with how I felt about sleeping on a mat.

I did the pull up bar in the door way too. I didn't run into it as much as you have though. LOL. It was short lived however because one day I hear a little yelp and a thump/crash. I run down the hall to see Bella and the pull up bar on the floor. She looks up at me and says "You're right. It isn't strong enough for a back hip circle."

After debating whether or not to beat her, I didn't bother putting it back up. The following christmas she did get a junior kip bar from Santa though. It will allow her to do pull over, pull ups, BHC, and I presume eventually a kip. Ironically, other than pull overs and some conditioning, she doesn't use it for gym at all. It is more of a hanging from the knees bar and makes for a great tent frame.

One thing I notice about our pull up bar is that because it twists into the holders, it needs to be tightened from time to time because it has loosened. I try to get her to hold it in the other direction. Perhaps I should turn the bar itself around.

We have the Iron Gym bar which wraps around the door frame Is easy to remove and can be used on the floor in the door for sit ups or on the floor for a bar to practice handstands on par etc. Anyway it come right out of the door way with not screws to deal with and DD just puts it in when she practices with it and takes it out when she is done and puts it in her closet. She actually has a walkin closet and now puts it on that door frame so if she forgets no one else has to deal with the bar

when my dd started gym, it was suggested to us that we get her a pull up bar...so we did. My mother is the one who walked into it, lol!!! Anyway, we still have it, but it isn't up anymore. My dh has the one that loops over and hooks in the doorway without hardware, and it really can only be used for exercises...no back hip circles...and so they use that one. They do use it, too...mostly to see who can do the most pull ups (my dd always wins that one)

As for the home gym...We also have a 12 ft.beam in our loft(sits about 9 inches off the ground) which I trip over daily ( I would love to get rid of it-dd says no, even though she doesn't really use it except to do cartwheels and practice turns on) and we have a boys mushroom for pommel exercises(borrowed...and he does practice on it-those darn circles are hard!) We had a jr kip bar someone had given to us, but it really wasn't good for anything but level 4 skills (and taking up space!!), so she outgrew it pretty fast...it would rock if she kipped on it, so we sold it.

gym stuff can take over your home pretty quickly...and after awhile, their hours increase so that they are at the gym so much, they don't really want to do gym at home.

Anyone want a beam? ;)

Our chin-up bar does not stay up. We take it down when dd isn't using it. However, when it is up, my dd has been instructed to put a towel over it if she walks away for any length of time as my dh has run into it a couple of times. The hand towel or wash rag seems to catch his attention a little better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back