WAG Cirque Style Camps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Boatergal

Proud Parent
I have a couple teens, level 9 and 10, looking for a serious cirque style summer camp. So far I am finding camps geared towards all ages and with no ability requirements. Does anyone know of any circle style camps geared to a higher level athelete? Mostly interested in acro and aerial training.

I don't know where you are but in Australia Sydney Trapeze School offers a course of intense cirque work from basics right up to professional. Normally it takes a few lessons to get to the required standard but maybe considering their level in gymnastics they could work around that. Is there something similar in the US?

Where are you located? That might help narrow down some options.
I know there is a trapeze school in DC, not sure if they have any type of camp or summer program. I just did a quick search and while I'm not sure this is the place I had heard of previously, they do have a location in DC and it looks like they have centers in Boston, New York, and Chicago as well. I couldn't find anything about camps, but maybe they would have something or be able to suggest someplace if you called/e-mailed?

That is definitely a good idea to email and see if they have any recommendations. Any thing east coast (in US) is doable.

If you're willing to drive up to Montreal, the National Circus School has an intensive summer camp that looks pretty interesting : National Circus School | Summer Camp It requires some previous experience in circus arts or a similar sport like gymnastics. You can do it either as a day camp or as a sleepaway camp :)

Wow! I never new there was a place where you could go to college to learn how to run away with the circus! I wonder what their job placement rates are like? (I'm only half kidding here... I would be interested to know what percentage of their graduates go on to work full-time as performers. And also what is the average length of time you could work in a career like that.)

Wow! I never new there was a place where you could go to college to learn how to run away with the circus! I wonder what their job placement rates are like? (I'm only half kidding here... I would be interested to know what percentage of their graduates go on to work full-time as performers. And also what is the average length of time you could work in a career like that.)

Yup, we have at least two high-level training centres in the province of Quebec! I don’t know about official placement rates, but it’s definitely not impossible to find a job. Circus is not huge here by any means, but it is more and more common for kids to take recreational classes and get involved much like they would in gymnastics.

As for professional opportunities, we do have Cirque du Soleil and a good number of smaller companies, so overall there’s a reasonable number of events that one could take part in, both locally and internationally. I know several people who’ve gone through the training and who are making a decent living – for instance, my sister’s best friend went independent after she finished school and has been offered several temporary contracts with Cirque du Soleil, has worked on cruise ships in the Carribbean, has been hired for corporate events, etc. Longevity is an issue and they’re always hoping that they won’t get injured, but they’re aware that it’s a possibility and usually have a plan B just in case, so it all works out fine mostly :)

And that’s the current state of circus arts in Quebec, sorry for hijacking the thread ! Boatergal, good luck with the camp search :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back