Coach leavinig

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My group found today that our coach is leavinig and that well be getting a new coach, im not to sure how to feel about it but the thing im worried about is she is head of our section of team( c and B squad) and resqtructred to create our group and i worry that the new coach will abolish our group, has anyone had a gymmies coach leave, what was the trasition to a new coach.

Hey,
I've had to switch gyms loads of times and I've had 15 DIFFERENT COACHES throughout my measly 6 year of gymnastics.
Recently, I had this coach that I really admired, and then we (as in our group) found out she was leaving too.
NOT to put you off, but our group totally fell apart, for the better and for the worse. It made all those in our group actually think twice about how they felt about gymnastics. Those who gave it up were the ones who I kinda thought weren't willing to take things seriously anymore, and those who were willing to work harder no matter what kind of coach they had learnt to stay strong together.
Now, we totally love our new coach :)
I'm a lvl 8 by the way...

Hope all goes well, and WORK HARD those first couple of weeks 'cos thats when the coaches make their impressions...LOL!

OK similar thing happened to us. Last year our coach left and we got a new coach and a lot of people quit but......i think a lot of them were going to quit anyway. She was very very very different than my old coach, much more focused on form and strength and those of us that stuck around are thriving under our new coach and i love her she just took a bit of getting used to :p

Its not likely your group will be abolished, if it has been created and there are enough kids training in it your gym is not going to get rid of it, they will just find a new coach for it.

Don't look at is as losing a coach, look at it as gaining another coach. Your coach will have taught you so much, your new coach will have even more to add to this along with new drills and new ways of explaining things. When you add together what you learned from old coaches and new the results can be great for your gymnastics.

We went through an ownership change about a year and a half ago. I would suggest taking the wait and see approach. My mother calls it "don't go borrowin' trouble."

Our gym was fairly competitive under the old coach. Now each level usually place top 3 in all meets. Our old gym was scattered and unorganized. Our new owner is structured and the parents almost always know what to expect and what is coming up. Communication has improved dramatically! Our new coach has taken our gym to the next level and the parents love it!

We got new team colors (from lime green to red/black), a clean gym (our old one was getting scaggy), more classes/development programs, etc.

It has been wonderful!!!!! Not to say that our old gym was bad necessarily. But I didn't recognize the drawbacks until I saw the changes the new owner made.

Okay, I'm an idiot. I just realized you are losing a team coach, not a head coach. Sorry

***slinking away quietly****

There's a gym in my area (rivals - growl, growl) and two of their coaches are leaving - they're partners, so, yeah. They're moving away together to the Pacific Northwest, God only knows why. Especially since they can actually get married here now. I have no idea how their girls are going to fare.

Last year, one of everybody's favorite coaches left to go into real estate. She was just DONE with gymnastics - it really stressed her out, as she was the head coach for the compulsory levels, and she has two kids, blah blah. Her husband was coaching gymnastics at the college level, so I guess they made a joint decision that it was OVER. That was probably a good call...she still subs sometimes and she seems a lot more relaxed. Her daughter had a terrible time with her mummy as the coach - they were always yelling and crying and pushing. Sometimes it's not all about the gymmies, ya know.

The transition wasn't hard, since I'd had the other coaches before. It was kind of a "move up" in a way, since the ex-coach only coached compulsories, even though I was still doing level 6. I got to practice with the optionals and work optional skills, which was nice, since I wasn't the only teenager in the gym anymore. We had to get used to some things, though - the strength was run differently, and I may be a liiittle weaker than I was with the old coach. My skills are better, though, especially on beam and vault. I feel like I get more one-on-one with the new coach, since the old one had to deal with soooo many kids at one time.

I will always miss her saying "walkOVER" instead of "WALKover" though. And it was really hard to figure out that she was saying "acro series." I can't mimic a Russian accent as well as I used to since now I've got Midwest born-and-raised coaches. And I miss her stories about "In Soviet Russia..." She's really creative and good with choreography, and just generally awesome, so everyone is really excited when she subs. We'll love her forever! (Sorry, I got off on a tangent. I feel a little teary.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back