WAG Coach won't let Dd do routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlymomof3

Proud Parent
Hey all!
So Dd is thriving at her new gym after a switch 2 months ago. She loves the gym, coach and the girls so it has been an easy transition. She competed Level 4 last fall at her previous gym, got the required "move-up score" at states and the coach said she could train with the level 5s at the new gym. They are currently competing (our state has both a fall and spring compulsory season), but Dd is not as her bars and beam are not quite up to Level 5 standards. However, the coach never lets her attempt the floor routine at practice even though she has all the skills to do it (front tuck, back tuck, 2 handsprings). And, as many of you know, it is very similar to the Level 4 routine so she basically already knows it. The coach sends her to the tumble track to work tucks the whole time the team is doing the routine instead of letting her participate.

I don't stay for practice to watch; this is just based on what Dd tells me. Would it be too CGM of me to ask the coach if she can do the floor routines occasionally? It is one of her most favorite parts of gymnastics and she feels left out when all the other girls are doing it but she is not allowed. Coaches, what do you think?

If she isn't competing, she's probably better off not doing it at this point. I don't know why she doesn't work on bars then, kips and casts to get her strength up, or strap bars. Personally I would probably have her do it but only because it drives me crazy to have people doing all different things and trying to direct them like its grand central station. But a lot of coaches feel differently.

If you want a short term solution you could email the coach in the context that more information, about a gymnast, is a good thing because he may not know how dearly your child wants to do the routine.

The course for the long term is to leave it alone for a few reasons that I can think of. I won't share those reasons as you and others may read too much into either of them.

IMO, if she really wants to run the routine, then she should ask the coach herself. I don't think it's your place to ask something like that. You can encourage her to speak up for herself, but don't push it. If she's not competing it any time soon, and she's not willing to speak up, then just let it go for now. As long as she's doing something productive, I wouldn't worry about it, and wouldn't bring it up yourself.

It sounds like I should just leave it alone. She (and another friend that switched at the same time) has requested to do the routine several times and has been denied each time so maybe that is enough.

The only reasons I can think of as to why the coach refuses is A) Doesn't want to take time away from the "competing" team members or B) Doesn't want to spend the time making sure she does it correctly if she is not competing and doesn't want her to just wing it for fun. Am I close IWC?

She cannot work on bars at that time because there is always another group at that station while they are on floor. But she finally has her straight kip, thanks to the gym change :)

As a side note, the coach has never seen her do her Level 4 routines, even during her trial week. She only had her demonstrate her skills, which I thought was interesting. I guess she just wants to start with a clean slate instead of fix what she is doing wrong.

The only reasons I can think of as to why the coach refuses is A) Doesn't want to take time away from the "competing" team members or B) Doesn't want to spend the time making sure she does it correctly if she is not competing and doesn't want her to just wing it for fun. Am I close IWC?

Well done......

Since you opened the door to speculation, I'll add that coaches wanting to help kids become the best they can and want to be (factoring in what gifts each child is blessed with) will create and nurture an atmosphere of expectation and a team wide sense of "can do." Your daughter hasn't yet met all the L5 requirements and the floor routine may be the carrot at the end of the stick.

Let's say it's a caring "fish or cut bait" method that works when applied correctly.

I obviously don't know anything about your gym, but at our gym running routines is viewed as the necessary evil of competition season. They would much rather have the girls working on skill development and spend the least amount of time possible working on those "silly" compulsory routines. If the plan is to have her compete next season and not this season I could see our coaches coming up with something more productive to do than work on routines that you at the very least don't need for a good long time.

Anyway about it, I think that is between your daughter and her coach. If she has already asked and been denied then I agree that it is what it is and there is almost certainly a good reason and a plan in place.

Nothing unusual about that. Right in the middle of the competitive season our time, resources, and patience are running short. I'm in the very same situation with several girls myself. They work with the rest of the team when we do all the tumbling and drills, but I'm not going to spend time or turns doing choreography on a girl that won't be competing this season. Just not fair to the ones that will be. I separate them off from the rest, and have them work other things that benefit them. Just a few more months and they will have plenty of time to learn the full routines, and as you noted there isn't many differences between L4 and L5.

My first thought was that why have them practice routines they're not competing, they could be improving skills instead. It would be as simple as that for me.

I'd maybe just say to DD that it's her chance to get those tucks better than all those girls spending times on routines, so focus on doing those the best she can.

Thanks for all the responses and for saving me from CGM status :) This gym does some things different than our previous gym so I am learning what is normal. Our previous gym would let the girls do the routines "just for fun," so I guess I was expecting that at the new gym as well. Her tucks are looking amazing though with all that practice!!

Not competing = no reason to take time away from the others that are, by doing routines "just for fun".

As others have said, for those not competing it's typical not to run routines--working instead on individual skills. But I did want to say--if you really want to ask about it, try asking "Can you tell me why you have little Susie working on the tumble track instead of the floor routine? She's feeling left out of the team and I want to let her know why it's better for her to work on tumble track." Better to ask reasoning behind what they're doing then to ask why they can't do something else.

We compete this weekend and DD runs routines as little as possible. She's also getting ready for TOPS testing. That's what they spend most of their time on. I believe she has never done a complete lvl 5 bar routine. She has the skills, but HC doesn't like the routine, something about messing up her shoulder angle for giants. I really don't understand it, but HC also says this is just a mobility meet......IMHO, she's getting more out of practicing skills instead of routines.

OP, when my daughter switched gyms mid season, she had to forfeit the season but was allowed to compete states. During the first 2 months, she really did not do any routines and on bars, she was just swinging for the first 2-3 weeks. It was frustrating since she was already an L9. She seemed to just be doing basics and I felt it was a waste of time but I said nothing. It was only when the state meet was approaching, maybe 2 weeks before, that they started having her work her routines and spending a little time with her. She did not do well at the state meet. She did not even qualify to regionals. I still wished she did more during that time. She's doing fine now.

Not competing = no reason to take time away from the others that are, by doing routines "just for fun".

This was the reason I felt my daughter was overlooked or left out. The other girls were competing every two weeks and she was not. I do understand this but I also can't help but think I am paying just as much tuition as any other member. But I guess that is the price one pays for switching gyms. You are placed in the bottom of the totem pole.

4thelove, when we switched to this gym the coach originally wanted Dd to practice and compete with the level 4s. So I would have had to pay another $800 plus new Leo/warm-ups to have her compete in a level that she was the AA state champion in. I asked if she could train with the level 5 girls and the coach agreed, no problem!

It is a long season; states isn't until May. Maybe if she gets her skills the coach will let her compete at least 1 level 5 meet, but she has never said this. It will be sad if they all move up without her but I'm sure she will be a rock-solid level 5 next year!

This was the reason I felt my daughter was overlooked or left out. The other girls were competing every two weeks and she was not. I do understand this but I also can't help but think I am paying just as much tuition as any other member. But I guess that is the price one pays for switching gyms. You are placed in the bottom of the totem pole.[/quote]
==
I wouldn't see it as the "price you pay", I would see it as, "I came here because they are better and I trust them".

I wouldn't see it as the "price you pay", I would see it as, "I came here because they are better and I trust them".

True, we switched for good reason. But the training (or lack thereof) the first three months was such because they were more committed to their long standing, competing gymnasts. Didn't/couldn't/wouldn't (whatever the rationale is) deviate from their training. Absolutely, no problem right now since my daughter has proven herself a hardworking athlete and has since climbed up the totem pole.

OP, I hear you. My daughter did not practice her floor routine until a week before her state meet last year. It does make parents anxious when the coach is not doing what makes sense to us or keeps us in the dark. So, if it appeases you, you should ask politely. FYI, if your daughter will not be competing this year, she may be better off doing skills on a tumble track than pounding the floor. I am sure they are doing other drills to keep up her tumbling skills albeit not letting her do her routine on the floor. Before you buy a new Leo and warm up suit for potentially 1 meet, find out if they are getting new/different Leos for next year. I would hate for you to pay $800 twice. That's a lot of money.

4thelove- I should have clarified! $800 was for the meet/coach fees for the season. The uniform cost is about $230 on top of that! Plus the monthly fees-- yikes!! What is this crazy sport? So good point on paying that much for just one meet :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back