Parents Coaches with college competition experience???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AFter these gymnasts have spent their entires lives in the gym, I imagine they want to now pursue a career in a different field and/or start a family. They probably need a break from the gym.

What I'm gathering is that quite possibly the largest benefit of having a coach who competed in college is that they can give first hand knowledge of what life will be like for a gymnast heading in to that level. Understanding the life of a college gymnast through personal experience will more aptly provide a coach insight they then can bestow upon their gymnasts. This would help some decide, "No. I don't want that for a lifestyle." Or, "You know what, I want to make a run at that." It would also help me as a parent to better understand the expectations of what I'd be asking my daughter to do over the next few years. Sometimes, the amount of time and money that goes into such preparation can be better spent in other aspects of the sport. I've learned a lot over the last few weeks. Thanks to those who've posted. I appreciate the insight.

If a kid is in a sport, any sport for a run at college, it's bettter to take the money you are spending on the sport and put it away for college.

And gymnastic teams are fewer than many college sports. And team size is smaller than many other teams.

Adding the rest of what goes along with the huge commitment required. It's not just what college gym requires. It's the sacrifices that have to be made to even get to college for athletics. Umm most of everything, parties, trips, proms and a host of other things.

Really needing to be a level 10 by freshman year, pretty much takes up most of your time.

Where are they? I run a year round wrestling school and every coach I have wrestled at the college level and all but one was an All-American. The one was still on scholarship as an athlete. Why do so many clubs in gymnastics seem to be so limited with coaches who have actually competed at the college level? Am I missing something?
It's not what you have done, it's what you can do. One of my beam coaches never did gymnastics, the other was on the Bulgarian national team. They are both excellent coaches.

What I'm gathering is that quite possibly the largest benefit of having a coach who competed in college is that they can give first hand knowledge of what life will be like for a gymnast heading in to that level. Understanding the life of a college gymnast through personal experience will more aptly provide a coach insight they then can bestow upon their gymnasts. This would help some decide, "No. I don't want that for a lifestyle." Or, "You know what, I want to make a run at that." It would also help me as a parent to better understand the expectations of what I'd be asking my daughter to do over the next few years. Sometimes, the amount of time and money that goes into such preparation can be better spent in other aspects of the sport. I've learned a lot over the last few weeks. Thanks to those who've posted. I appreciate the insight.
I might add that the college "level" is the same as JO Level 10.

I've heard varying ideas of where a girl must be to compete in college. Lev 10 by freshman year....Lev 10 by junior year. Why is that?

I've heard varying ideas of where a girl must be to compete in college. Lev 10 by freshman year....Lev 10 by junior year. Why is that?

There are about 60 Div I schools and an about 20 additional Div II and III schools for gymnastics. The schools are recruiting earlier and earlier. The top schools are making verbal offers to Freshman and even younger. If the goal is a scholarship at any of the schools that regularly make regionals (top 36 each year), then L10 by Freshman year is pretty accurate. However, on the other end are the DIII schools, which will take some level 9s. Unfortunately there are very few D3 schools. Even walk on positions at DI schools are quite competitive. And, just to clarify, it is not just about getting to L10, they are looking for 10.0 start values in NCAA (which differs slightly from JO) and capability of scoring in high 9's. For example, NCAA downgraded vaults and increased requirements on bars recently, which has left some schools looking for girls that can fill those spots.

So do girls not develop from 9th grade til graduation? It seems to me that girls who continue to improve throughout high school have every bit of a chance to take the spot of injured or burned out girls who may still be offered scholarships earlier. Is that not true as well?

Nothing is set in stone until the NLI is signed during the fall of senior year. Some of the early verbal commitments don't work out for various reasons, but a lot do. And yes -- they expect them to continue to develop throughout HS.

Thanks a ton for the info. Same is done in wrestling. While some wrestlers are amazing as freshman or sophomore's and remain so throughout the high school and collegiate career's, there is so much room for kids who started late and continue to develop later on into high school. My wife and I erred on the side of not wanting to have an eight year old in the gym 20 hours a week. Unfortunately we also erred on the side of trusting a coach too late in the game who seems to have taken advantage of our lack of oversight. As we switch gyms and try to determine what our next steps are, much of the insight you guys have provided is helpful. Thank you

Thanks a ton for the info. Same is done in wrestling. While some wrestlers are amazing as freshman or sophomore's and remain so throughout the high school and collegiate career's, there is so much room for kids who started late and continue to develop later on into high school. My wife and I erred on the side of not wanting to have an eight year old in the gym 20 hours a week. Unfortunately we also erred on the side of trusting a coach too late in the game who seems to have taken advantage of our lack of oversight. As we switch gyms and try to determine what our next steps are, much of the insight you guys have provided is helpful. Thank you

It's ok that you didn't want your 8yo in the gym 20 hours a week. There are things I feel like I should have done differently too. We are all doing the best we can. Being on CB regularly helps insure that we can make decisions for our girls with eyes wide open. Lots of great information in this thread.

Girls can absolutely continue to improve throughout high school and I do think there is some room for girls late to the game, but also there is a VERY WIDE variation of skill level in L10. While it is possible to do very well the first year in L10, especially if the gymnast competed upgraded skills in L9, most girls will improve from their first year of L10 and on, adding combinations and difficulty. College coaches also want to see a proven track record of being able to deliver in competitions.
OP- my daughter was much in the same situation as yours, dd did not switch to a gym capable of coaching L10 level until her 2nd year of L8 in 8th grade. At age 8 she was in the gym 6 hours a week. Her goal is college gymnastics- she is a Jr heading into 2nd season of L10 and is talking with a few coaches and has visited a couple schools.

Awesome! I appreciate that very much. We have raised our kids to believe in their dreams and to work extremely hard to chase after them. Time will tell.....

Awesome! I appreciate that very much. We have raised our kids to believe in their dreams and to work extremely hard to chase after them. Time will tell.....
My daughter didn't even start gymnastics until she was 8. She's 12 now and will be competing L9, so just find a good gym and let the rest happen as it will. Good luck!

One of the most successful NCAA gymnasts in history (and an Olympian) recently started working with the optionals at DDs gym....I have to try very hard not to geek out every time I see her
I was in a similar situation this weekend meeting a coach at our gym for the first time because of their gymnastics experience. It went well and I admit I was nervous making the introduction. Glad I broke the ice and going forward it should be normal.

One of the most successful NCAA gymnasts in history (and an Olympian) recently started working with the optionals at DDs gym....I have to try very hard not to geek out every time I see her

At DD's old gym she was working with a Romanian Olympian. I majorly geeked out inside, but she's such a sweet person that it was easy to talk to her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back