Coaches Coaching with confidence

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
So I have been a coach for a few months now and I feel like I am getting better, but I am not as confident as I can be. How can I get more confident in my coaching?

Keep doing it. :p

No, but really:

Evaluate how practice went and what can be improved.

Ask more experienced coaches for advice.

Treat coaching as a craft and learn as much as you can. I have word documents for every apparatus as well as individual skills and constantly research to add to those. Going to coaching clinics / getting additional training is something I've found invaluable, both for my confidence and for getting out of a rut.

I'm introverted and not too social so it has really been about putting myself out there again and again. I was so shy when I first started!
Hope someone more experienced chimes in too, I've only been doing this for six/seven years.

I've been coaching 25 years now. I had a strong background and did pretty well but I had a strong desire to be great. I went to a clinic where the presenter suggested using a tape recorder and listen to your corrections. This was invaluable to me. If you go back and listen, it's amazing how little sense you make at times. Remember that the kids are possibly hearing something for the first time. You have to really be able to describe what you're looking for.
Don't be afraid to try new things. Don't be afraid to steal drills and improve on them according to your style. Experiment and find what works for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back