WAG College Camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cudutch2

Proud Parent
Has anyone been to Penn State summer camp? Looking for a camp where my daughter can aquire new skills not just work on stuff she does all summer at gym. She will be 10 and Level 8 next summer.

My DD's teammates who were ages 12-17 attended Penn State's camp this summer and had a blast! They are levels 9-10 but from what I could see in photos, there were lots of younger kids as well. I'm also planning to send DD (12 yr old L9) to a college camp next summer, most likely we will decide as a team where to send them.

I've heard good things about Univ. of Maryland's camp as well.

I know some girls who went to Penn State camp, had a great time, and worked with some amazing coaches. I've brought it up with my DD more than once, but PSU is only about a half hour from Woodward, and Woodward wins every time. Neither are cheap, so it has to be one or the other.

DD went to Penn this past summer after I heard wonderful things about it (she is a 12 yr old level 7). She was not impressed. The biggest problem wasn't the equipment as the behavior of her roommate, who seemed to be allowed to run wild. Some may try to chalk it up to harmless fun, but it was not fun for DD (or me -- I was APPALLED by the behavior). We'll be returning to Woodward, which she has always loved.

College camps are a great deal in terms of price and very gymnastics-packed as there aren't the distractions of other camp activities. There are still plenty of fun things thrown in depending on where you go (games, pool time, etc.), just none of the bells and whistles of a place like IGC or Woodward. There are also great facilities and great coaches from the college, NCAA gymnasts, and visiting coaches. And kids get a chance to experience the college setting- dining hall, dorms, managing their time a little more freely, etc.
As a previous poster suggested, housing is a little different than at the larger camps which can lead to some problems. There are not counselors in each room, but rather spread out throughout the hall. So it's a lot harder for them to keep tabs on kids and make sure nothing is awry with the campers and roommate relationships. If your kid gets a good roommate (or comes with a teammate) it's not really a problem, just if there are difficulties with a challenging roommate. I went to camp at WVU a number of years ago and the counselor (I think 1 or 2 per hall) was in her room with door closed most of the time, even bringing boys up which was a not allowed by campers and probably not setting the best example. Though I'm not sure how it works at other schools, and again it really depends on "luck of the draw."
Overall it's a lot of fun and would highly recommend them!

Thanks for replies.. My dd has been to USGTC and experienced the"dorm"setting with counselor who also coached monitored the whole floor and also IGC where she had a blast. She "learned" nothing at both. For price I could have done regular camp and privates all summer as well as reg team practice. Hoping to go with team mate so we should not have bunk issues. We def need a sleep away college camp coming from NY. I don't want to travel across country so if anyone can suggest any other besides Penn I would appreciate it.

My daughter has also done USGTC. Springfield College in MA offers a camp that we may try next year. It is only 4 nights though, so I don't know if you think it will be worth the trip for you.

I think Penn State camp was only 4 nights too. And while it's cheaper overall, I think it's more expensive per day than Woodward (probably depending on what session at Woodward). Bottom line is that I don't think that it's realistic to think that a kid is going to come back from camp with a lot of new skills. Sure, a different coach might say something that makes a skill that she's already close to getting "click", but in the end, it's only a few days. And even though they're great coaches, they don't have the same vested interest in your daughter's progress that her own coaches would, and she doesn't have the same level of trust with them either. So yes, if your goal is to get the most "bang for your buck" spending the money on camp at her own gym and privates with her own coaches probably is the way to go. If you just want her to have a great summer experience doing what she loves with other kids who love it too, then send her to camp. I don't think either choice is right or wrong. It just depends on what you (and she) want and what you can (and want to) afford.

Not expecting miracles in 4-7 day camps.. Problem is they don't evaluate the kids right. My daughter is a great vaulter and yet at IGC she was not allowed to try anything new while team mates who are not as strong where.She asked and was told she didn't have skills. She place 5th in NYS so I don't think that was it. I found at USGTC they asked the kids what they could do.. My dd is not the one screaming I can so 8 kids to group and she wasn't picked.. I find that when you go as team you can really see they are not placed right.. she is competing level 7 this year but did some level 5 skills.. She herself was disappointed.. She likes a challenge. Don't get me wrong she loved scary airey,rock wall,archery and the water slide. It was the gymnastic end that was lacking. Also 4 day camps are fine.I travel to Pine Forest in Pennsylvania for older dd who cheers and what they accomplish in 4 days is awesome. Thanks for all your replies!!

I had the same issues with IGC, our Canadian program is very different to USAG and the IGC evaluation focus on some key USAG skills and stages. My girl was just Kipping and she missed it in the evaluation, she had been competing a layout off bars and back tuck off beam for a year. She got stuck with a group of L4's and was frustrated the whole week. Here a kip was not focussed on in the same way.

The camp they attend here places them by last level competed. It makes a lot more sense.

My dd went to UNH for camp this summer. It was affordable ($600 I think) and they cap it at 100 girls. There was a strong showing of 9/10's working in the gym, which I think is great for girls to see higher level training up close. (Dd was L7) The dorms were very nice and the campus is small which made me feel she was safer moving between gym/dorm. Lots of working out. She opted to work out when they had free time instead of swimming or movies. The caveat is they don't post dates for camps until late winter so it's hit or miss whether it will fit into our schedule.

I wasn't happy with DD's placement at Woodward this summer either. She placed at States at level 6, including being beam state champ, but ended up in a level 6 training group. I suspect it was because she had been on vacation the for 10 days out of the two weeks before camp started. She and her other teammate who was placed in this group told the coach that they were training 7, and she gave them additional assignments to do above and beyond what those training level 6 did, but still I was not thrilled given the amount of money I was paying. However, it didn't seem to phase her, and when she came to the open gyms she could train whatever skills she needed to. But even so, I agree with Bog. I wish they would just ask "what level are you training" and put you in an appropriate group. They could even get that information (including perhaps skills mastered, skills that are in process, etc.) from coaches ahead of time and reduce the amount of time and effort that goes into the placement process that first day of camp. That was actually part of the reason I was asking DD if she would think about doing the PSU camp next summer (her HC is one of the coaches, so I could be confident that she would end up in the appropriate training group), but no. She :heartbeat: Woodward. And in the end, it probably didn't matter all that much.

So, I guess while I espouse the idea that gymnastics camp is mostly for fun and not for gaining new skills, I do get annoyed when my child is not working on skills at least as challenging as the ones she would be working on if she was home, attending the gymnastics practices that I am still paying for, even though I am also paying for camp...:rolleyes:

I agree...it's an odd way to place them in groups!! I was more annoyed that DD was learning skills she will not need anytime soon, if at all. As a new L6, she said she was working on 1/2 on/1/2 off on vault....never even did front handsprings??

Camps are tough. I don't send DD with the intent of learning new skills -- I think of it as a mini vacation where she can do something she loves (and maybe learn something in the process). I have found Woodward to be one of the best environments for learning new skills. DD has been concerned about her placement a couple years even there, but so much of the camp revolves around open gym plan that she's had lots of time to practice what she really wants and needs to learn.

I did want to offer one caveat on Penn State. It was not a good experience for us, but the year before some optionals from our old gym learned the yurchenko vault at the camp, showed they learned it at the gym and ended up competing it during the season.

I know this is way out of the way for most of you but the University of Arkansas does a summer camp. My DD has not been to one but some of her teamates have and they have a blast and learn a lot too.

We've been to the Arkansas one a few times. DD loves it and will be going this year if she remains injury free ;) Last year she had a torn hamstring.

OH!! My dd would love to go to Arkansas... She meet a level 10 gymnast at I LOVE NY meet a few years ago when dd was Level 5. She had found out it was my dd birthday on meet day and what she wanted to do for birthday was to come and watch the level 10's compete. This girl Lauren Beers announced it was her birthday,gave her a birthday plaque she had made for her and a t shirt. What a sweet girl! She is actually going to Arkansas on a scholarship so of course my dd says that is where she wants to go.
In a few years when she is at a higher level and a bit older I would love for her to go there..

OH!! My dd would love to go to Arkansas... She meet a level 10 gymnast at I LOVE NY meet a few years ago when dd was Level 5. She had found out it was my dd birthday on meet day and what she wanted to do for birthday was to come and watch the level 10's compete. This girl Lauren Beers announced it was her birthday,gave her a birthday plaque she had made for her and a t shirt. What a sweet girl! She is actually going to Arkansas on a scholarship so of course my dd says that is where she wants to go.
In a few years when she is at a higher level and a bit older I would love for her to go there..

Lauren is actually of the University of Alabama team: Official Women's Gymnastics Roster - ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site :)

Just as a heads up, in response to MaryA's post.
I was at woodward with a group of girls training level 3 and 4 while I had just competed level 5 (I think they threw me in that group because I didn't have my kip. But I had every other skill)

Anyway, I just asked if i could move up a group and they gladly moved me up immediately.
Obviously you have to want to speak up and such which is hard for a younger child. But most camps will accommodate your requests if you ask.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back