college gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really wish more coaches were open to the options available at D2/3 schools, knowledgeable about the programs, what the coaches are looking for, and how to go about the process.

See, this is where I differ. I do not believe it's up to the coaches to know the above details, it's up to the gymnast and the parents to really do the work. My dd's HC is very well know in the college scene, she has her network and her reputation, but it's still up to me and dd to do the leg work. If dd is interested in D2/3, then I will make it my #1 priority to know everything I can about that particular school or any school for that matter. I respect dd's coach and think she does a wonderful job, but I'd never leave my dd's future in her hand alone.

The one thing I always say to my dd is, do you want to go to a school (college) where you might be on the team, but never get a chance to contribute in a meet OR do you want to go to a school where you will be able to come in and contribute right off the bat? That could be the difference between a D1 or a D2/3. The school also has to be the right fit for dd! Does it have her major, does she like the school other than gymnastics? If I left it up to the coach, she'd have her at the best gym fit and that may not necessarily be the right fit overall! I also stress to dd to strive for an academic scholarship rather than a athletic. Academic are more certain, year-to-year! Don't get me wrong, I'd love for her to get a gymnastics scholarship, but I consider it icing on the cake... ;)

See, this is where I differ. I do not believe it's up to the coaches to know the above details, it's up to the gymnast and the parents to really do the work. My dd's HC is very well know in the college scene, she has her network and her reputation, but it's still up to me and dd to do the leg work. If dd is interested in D2/3, then I will make it my #1 priority to know everything I can about that particular school or any school for that matter. I respect dd's coach and think she does a wonderful job, but I'd never leave my dd's future in her hand alone.

The one thing I always say to my dd is, do you want to go to a school (college) where you might be on the team, but never get a chance to contribute in a meet OR do you want to go to a school where you will be able to come in and contribute right off the bat? That could be the difference between a D1 or a D2/3. The school also has to be the right fit for dd! Does it have her major, does she like the school other than gymnastics? If I left it up to the coach, she'd have her at the best gym fit and that may not necessarily be the right fit overall! I also stress to dd to strive for an academic scholarship rather than a athletic. Academic are more certain, year-to-year! Don't get me wrong, I'd love for her to get a gymnastics scholarship, but I consider it icing on the cake... ;)
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear in what I meant. It seems that coaches, at least in my case, hear that a kid wants to do college gymnastics and assume they mean D1, meaning those who express college gym as a goal but are at a lower skill level, are often thrown to the wayside or told their goal is almost impossible/unrealistic. I just more coaches were aware that opportunities existed for girls who might not be superstar level 10s and help those girls create realistic expectations and guide them in the right general direction. Also, in some cases the recruiting process for D2/3 schools is slightly different, I think it would be ideal for coaches to at least be able to provide parents and athletes with the most basic resources so they can learn how to go about the process (suggest school names, send to collegegymfans website, really basic things to show encouragement and awareness of the possibility.
Choosing appropriate schools for ideal location, gym program, and academic programs is the responsibility of the parent and the child, but I just feel coaches, generally speaking, need to have a better knowledge of the options that exist in D2/3 programs so they don't brush off those level 9s with dreams of doing gym in college. I'm not really sure I'm making any sense here, but what else is new?

And here's where I differ... I do think it's part of the coaches job to help with the recruiting process by knowing what's out there and workable for his gymnasts. I know the legwork that GrannySmith speaks of is on us but I think the whole process, how to start, where to start, what's realistic, who to contact, timetable for contacts etc could be better facilitated by coaches who are in the business, so to speak.

At my daughter's gym, her coaches basically had NOTHING to do with this whole process with the exception of hosting the college coaches as they paraded through our gym on visits, which is fine and it all worked out for us but IT WAS SO STRESSFUL ( and I don't think it needed to be) . I have heard of other gyms that have one of their coaches that basically is like a recruiting coordinator for the girls in HS ...sits them down, sees what they are interested in gym-wise and academics-wise, spells out their options given the results they've had ( i.e your skills might be better suited to the MAC conference vs the SEC so let's look at XX schools) , researches what schools will need for a gymnasts given year (i.e. "XX State has 3 graduating your year so there are X openings .."), contacts schools that the girls are interested in etc ...you get the picture.. The legwork of going to the school for visits is on the gymnast and family but the recruiting world is so scary that to have your coaches assist in the process would be a good thing...just my opinion, of course.

And here's where I differ... I do think it's part of the coaches job to help with the recruiting process by knowing what's out there and workable for his gymnasts. I know the legwork that GrannySmith speaks of is on us but I think the whole process, how to start, where to start, what's realistic, who to contact, timetable for contacts etc could be better facilitated by coaches who are in the business, so to speak.

At my daughter's gym, her coaches basically had NOTHING to do with this whole process with the exception of hosting the college coaches as they paraded through our gym on visits, which is fine and it all worked out for us but IT WAS SO STRESSFUL ( and I don't think it needed to be) . I have heard of other gyms that have one of their coaches that basically is like a recruiting coordinator for the girls in HS ...sits them down, sees what they are interested in gym-wise and academics-wise, spells out their options given the results they've had ( i.e your skills might be better suited to the MAC conference vs the SEC so let's look at XX schools) , researches what schools will need for a gymnasts given year (i.e. "XX State has 3 graduating your year so there are X openings .."), contacts schools that the girls are interested in etc ...you get the picture.. The legwork of going to the school for visits is on the gymnast and family but the recruiting world is so scary that to have your coaches assist in the process would be a good thing...just my opinion, of course.

Totally agree with that! I know in our area that girls often gravitate toward gyms that offer that kind of support when they are in high school. Is it ultimately your responsibilty as a parent in the end? Yes, but it's better to have that support from your coaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back