College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
So I'm currently a Sr. in highschool.
And no I'm not going to ask you what it takes to be a college gymnast....because I'm only a level 5/6 gymnast right now, so that is not happening.

But I would love to work with gymnastics in the coaching side. I currently coach rec. classes, preschool classes and am working with the level 3/4 team.
I'd love to keep doing this and get more involved with coaching the team as I get older.

But would you suggest getting a degree relating to coach gymnastics and if so what would you suggest.
Or would you suggest getting a completely different degree incase I decide to do something else.
Does this question make sense? If not let me know.

I'd look at a degree in something like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry or related sciences. Or there's options such as physiotherapy.

Any of those will give you a really good background in how the body works. There's also biomechanics, physics etc which are also related.

It depends how your academics are. If you get the grades for the above subjects I'd say go for one, and do your coaching as a hobby till you graduate, when you'll have loads of options.

If your academics aren't that great you could consider just getting a coaching job and learning as you go.

I will add there are sports science degrees, but certainly in this country at least I'd be very careful on which program. Some aren't very academic and you will be better off (financially at least!) just learning as you coach.

I am moving this to the College/NCAA thread (please please in the future read all the possible forums and put your thread there! That way you'll get better input and have more information! Thanks!). There you will find some great links and resources posted as stickies that will help answer all your questions. I am a physical education for K-12 major with an athletic coaching minor. What schools have you applied to/are applying to?? Look at the list of majors they offer on their school's website. You'll take mostly gen ed classes your freshman year but you can also look for a gym close by to your school and see if you can coach rec kids. Unfortunately as a L 5 gymnasts it'll be hard to coach team girls right away, but you could definitely start with rec girls.

First of all I wasn't sure if this belonged here as it's not really about NCAA or College Gymnastics at all.

Second as I've said I already coach Rec kids, preschool classes and team level 3/4 and sometimes 5, I'm hoping that as I get more experience I can move to higher level teams but honestly I may be happy with just the lower levels.

And I've never heard of the level of gymnastics you reach effects the level you coach. There are quite a few high level gymnasts that coach true. But there are just as many coaches who were never a gymnast themselves...or not a very high level gymnast.

Not a problem! It's all fixed now and hopefully you'll get some good responses that help here! :) You definitely don't have to stay at the lower levels! Just get some more experience with them. With less experience as a coach (compared to adult coaches who have been full time at gyms for years) with a lower level of gymnastics you'll have to start at lower levels then you can work up. It also depends on what gym you're at. I can def give you better suggestions if you have a rough idea of where you want to go to school. I think coaching is a great career to pursue, it's what I'm doing :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back