WAG competing with a cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a level 9 and mid September fractured my scaphoid in my wrist. I have been in a cast for 15 weeks and I go back to the doctor tomorrow. he keeps telling me I will get it off the next appointments to every appointment so I am not sure when I will truly get it off. I'm praying for tomorrow, but anyways, I was wondering if a gymnast is aloud to compete with a cast on. I have been practicing beam and floor since the injury and I am planning to compete at the next meet (I will probably not be cleared to put weight on it and in a non mobile brace) so we were planning to put me in a tiger paw and just compete no handed. I just wanted to know In case I didn't get mine off. (ps I always thought you couldn't, but an elite from TCT, abby Paulson, posted a picture on Instagram with a cast and said she competed

I'm not sure... that is a great question! Our gyms rule is cast=no competing...
I would honestly say just sit out. It is only a meet and there will be more in the future!

I don't think it's against any USAG rules, though I'd be cautious about competing with a cast. You wouldn't want to cause further injury to that wrist or anything else from compensating. But I have seen it done. A level 9 competed beam & floor at her state meet with a cast for a broken hand, and she ended up scoring a 9.475 on beam & winning first place. So it can be done :)

I saw somebody at the compulsory level competing at state with a cast on and saw an optional competing a a 2 event meet wearing a cast.

I believe it might be possible to compete with a cast just the only thing is you don't want to hurt it even more than it already is because then you could be out a lot longer than you would want to be and you are at such a high level. But if you're feeling that you are able to do it comfortably then I think you should!!

We would never compete someone in a cast.

Reactions: sce
I got my cast off this morning and go the go ahead to compete with no hands(or one handed). I am aloud to begin to put pressure on my hand after I regain full range of motion and I have no more pain.(probably a few weeks

Why in the world would any coach or parent let you compete before you are fully healed? This seems like a n0-brainer to me.what if you fall and put your hand down and reinjure it? Seriously, just wait the few more weeks.

I am a level 9 and mid September fractured my scaphoid in my wrist. I have been in a cast for 15 weeks and I go back to the doctor tomorrow. he keeps telling me I will get it off the next appointments to every appointment so I am not sure when I will truly get it off. I'm praying for tomorrow, but anyways, I was wondering if a gymnast is aloud to compete with a cast on. I have been practicing beam and floor since the injury and I am planning to compete at the next meet (I will probably not be cleared to put weight on it and in a non mobile brace) so we were planning to put me in a tiger paw and just compete no handed. I just wanted to know In case I didn't get mine off. (ps I always thought you couldn't, but an elite from TCT, abby Paulson, posted a picture on Instagram with a cast and said she competed

yes, you can and it has been done many, many times by others. :)

yes, you can and it has been done many, many times by others. :)

in fact, either this past season or the season before, there was a Level 10 at Nationals that competed beam and floor with a cast on her right hand. she did 1 arm round off, 1 arm flip flop and 1 arm tuck double back. man, i was impressed. :)

What is the difference between allowing a girl to train what she can with a cast on to compete what she can with a cast on?

I did it a few years ago with a cast on my wrist. Just floor and beam.. Modified so that I only had round off with one arm into saltos and front tumbling. I think the hardest tumble I did was a 2 1/2 twist backwards.
Beam was pretty easy to modify, apart from the bit where you have to go down to the beam.
Honestly I don't see a big problem with it. If you fall, as I did on my 2 1/2 , you just don't put your arm out and safety roll instead.
I think it's good to compete to gain confidence so I would go for it, even if it means doing simpler routines.
Good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back