WAG Compulsory scores vs Optional

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi parents and coaches,

Just wondering if it's possible that some gymnasts do not flourish in the compulsory levels but do well later on in the optional levels?

Thanks!
Kate

Absolutely! And for this same reason some girls who don't do well in compulsories end up doing very well in Xcel (which lets the girls have their own routines like optionals.) When they can choose the skills and dance moves that are geared towards their strengths, it makes a huge difference. My dd has really blossomed in Xcel. Our gym uses Xcel bronze, silver and gold as an alternate route to optionals so they don't compete compulsories at all except to score out. My dd did train Level 3 at her old gym before she switched to Xcel and she had a hard time. But it wasn't an indicator of her future success at all.

I would say it is all across the board. But I do think level 5 is a very intricate level, and was very proud of my daughter at how she did with it. Was she top of the podium? No. Was she bottom of the barrel? No. She was in the middle. Which for her? AWESOME.

I think you can't predict at all how a kid will do in optionals based on their compulsory scores. My daughter has always been a middle of the pack gymnast since old level 4 and through level 8. She usually ends up in the mid to high 36s in each level, even with repeating.

What I've noticed with the new cycle is very high scores for compulsories. You regularly see 37-38AA from level 2 on up. It was rare when my daughter was in compulsories. At her level 5 state, less than 10% had above a 37AA. This year at level 4 state almost 25% scored a 37, with many 38s. I heard they are no longer as harsh on text deductions, which must be because I see similar routines scoring way higher, except for vault. I can't imagine most of those kids continuing to score that in optionals.

I think you can't predict at all how a kid will do in optionals based on their compulsory scores. My daughter has always been a middle of the pack gymnast since old level 4 and through level 8. She usually ends up in the mid to high 36s in each level, even with repeating.

What I've noticed with the new cycle is very high scores for compulsories. You regularly see 37-38AA from level 2 on up. It was rare when my daughter was in compulsories. At her level 5 state, less than 10% had above a 37AA. This year at level 4 state almost 25% scored a 37, with many 38s. I heard they are no longer as harsh on text deductions, which must be because I see similar routines scoring way higher, except for vault. I can't imagine most of those kids continuing to score that in optionals.

I've noticed the same thing in our state with compulsories the last 2 years. I looked at scores the year my dd competed old L4 as well as the 2 following years and 37+ was rare, with 36's or above less than 1/2. Last year I think 80% were over a 36 and probably about 25% 37 or above.
As far as predicting, I think you just can't. I have noticed though (in the old compulsories) the scores at L7 were typically the highest scoring at meets. Almost always when you looked at team scores for meets, the highest ones were by L7 teams. I'm not sure if L6 is now doing the same. I do think that overall, it is easier to score well in early optionals than the last 2 levels of compulsories, but I don't know that placements will change. And then, once you get to upper optionals it all changes again. Sometimes girls with great form and basic optional skills can do great at early optionals, but never make it to L9 and 10 because of the difficulty of the skills and fears.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back