WAG Conditioning at the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey everyone
i just wonder what you guys do at gym when you do conditioning. like what exercises and how many of these do you do?
because at my gym we don't do a lot. well i'm never really exhausted after it. and it doesn't seem right to me.
it's just i've had a long break from gymnastics and got back a few months ago but it doesn't seem like i've improved a lot...

oh & how long did you have until you got your switch ring leap?

10-15 minutes of specific strength after warmup, 30 minutes or so toward the end of practice before stretch out.

My dd does about an hour of conditioning/cardio/stretching at the end of every practice. Some of what they do are rope climbs, Russian chin ups, leg lifts, box jumps, Some stuff on the floor the used to call bananas and mermaids when she was little (but I don't know what they are really called), then they do press handstands, handstands still and walking backwards. there is probably more but I hate watching conditioning almost as much as my dd hates doing it, lol.

And then sometimes they do cardio on the machines, sometimes jogging, shuttle runs, skipping, and then splits and other stretching.

I'm glad I found this thread. Our gym is rec only and we hardly do any conditioning at all since classes are only an hour once a week. However, I am going to be running some more intensive summer camp classes from 9-2 and I really want to include conditioning and stretching. I have several girls who really are good, but they can't do things like kips because they just aren't strong enough.

If somebody could help me figure out a daily plan for these kids twice a week I would be so grateful.

So 8 hours a week? Ok what level are they, what skills are they working on and what are your goals for them? (conditioning and event wise)

^^^ Yep.

For a 1hr class, you basically can only set up side stations. At best, that is a quick warmup, some HS work and 2 events.

9-2? Is it all gymnastics or is there activity time and/or open gym/play/game time that needs to be figured in.

9-920 Warmup/stretch
920-930 core conditioning, hahahhahah. planks and L, straddle L, hollow, arch, etc or HS work such as static HS, walking, press HS. 10 minutes of core conditioning if you want them to get strong and sore. split with HS if they are more low level rec
930-945 Handstand work such as headstand, handstand holds, walking HS, press HS
945-1030 1st event
Snack time? or take a bit of time out of 1st and 2nd event, no more than 10 minutes
1030-1115 2nd event
1115-1145 (30 minute lunch)
15 minutes of games such as chicken on the henhouse, surfs up, etc
12-1245 3rd event
1245-130 4th event
130-145 strength and conditioning circuits. This is not really a lot of time, split them up into manageable groups but this depends how many coaches you have. If you wanted to add in that core conditioning and HS time to allow more you could skip that earlier and add it here to get another 25 minutes of time, which helps a lot. Come to think of it, I might do that instead. I used to like to partner rope climb and presses as a station, bar work such as hanging leg lifts and dips (no need to really do pullups when doing rope climb), floor conditioning such as that core work I stated earlier besides reverse leg lifts and lower body work such as lunges, broad jumps across floor, squatting, step ups. It's also nice if you can set up stations on rings/pb for skin the cats/dipping if they are located close to each other.
145-2 Open gym time

Another option I think is to create 30 minute rotations and do 5 events, with the 5th event being half and half of trampoline or tumbltrak/dance. So FX, Ba, Bm, V, Tramp/Dance every day. If you have boys and can make a boys only group, you would skip beam and would alternate HB/SR for Ba, and PB/PH for Bm (make sure to set up a bucket if you can). If you don't have enough boys to warrant a boys group and still want to get them on the apparatus, you would throw in some men's apparatus into that 5th event catagory or split off a few boys to work the MAG events.

4x45=160 minutes or 5x30=150 minutes. Schedule 10 minutes as a break. 45 minutes can be a long time for rec kids on an event but it's what you need to get some good work in, however there hands might not be able to do 45 minutes on bars.

So 30 minute rotations means you have more planning blocks each day, besides that 10 minutes of a planned break that doesn't interfere with events.

I'm basing most of this on what we did camp back in 2011 but we went 9-330 I think (also for team camp).

No problem. At least that can give you an outline that you tailor to meet your needs better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back