WAG conditioning list

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

okay so I have noticed that I'm not very strong so I made my self a home conditioning list, and I was wondering if I should add or take out anything.

So I am the weakest in the upper body, like arms and abs. Which is annoying when you are trying to get your kip before competition season starts. I can't do more than 10-15 good pushups in a row. I can't do more than 1-2 pull ups (forward or backwards grip) I can do about 15 leglifts in a row. And only like 10-15 v-ups in a row.

here it is, exactly what I do on the days I don't have practice (MWF, Sunday I break)

15 heel raises (all kinds)
ankle circles
20 jumping lunges
30 regular squats
-----Rest------
15 seconds middle split
25 seconds right split
25 seconds left split
-----Rest------
10 v-ups
20 alternating v-ups
15 straddle ups
15 tuck ups
30 crunches
------Rest-------
15 toe-touches
45 sit-ups
20 sit-ups legs in air
------Rest--------
55 second handstand
35 dips
15 shoulder shrugs with weight
15 second push-up holds
------Rest-------
7 second bridge
Achilles stretch
Arm stretch
Cat stretch
Split stretches
-------Rest--------
20 second over splits both legs
10 second splits all ways
-------Rest--------
12 push-ups
10 bicep curls
10 things we do for kips (weights)
15 dips
ankle circles
--------rest-------
stretch

Oh, and by the way I have a mat, pull up bar and 3,5,8, & 10 pound weights. And I am a prep-op gymnast, and I have all 3 splits. In case that matters.:D

I asked my daughter this question: what is the best conditioning to give you the upper body strength so you can do your kips?
Answer: kip drills

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Something else you could add would be pushups from 10. We do pushup hold for 15 seconds, then 10 pushups. 15 second hold, 9 pushups, 15 second hold, 8 pushup, 15 second, 7 pushups etc till you get to one. It's harder than it sounds but it gets easier if you do them often. You will feel it in your abs and arms. Hollow body holds are also good for ab muscles(45 min?). On the pull up bar you could do pike holds for 45 seconds x amount of sets too. Good luck! I hope you get your kip. :)

I would probably do more reps. So instead of doing 10 V-Ups, 10 tuck-ups, and 10 Straddle Ups, I would just do 30 V-Ups. I find that whenever I switch up the conditioning after so few reps it makes it a whole lot easier.
Maybe that's just me, but if you don't have time to do more reps of each, select a few to do more reps and then alternate each day.
Also, you need to hold your splits/overpslits for longer. If you have them to the floor easily, then you can hold that for like 30 seconds and then transition to oversplit for two minutes. If the splits are difficult on the floor, maybe hold regular for a minute and oversplit for a minute. If that makes sense.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Just a mom here so here is my two cents based on life experience for what it is worth. I think you have too much in your conditioning list. While all of that is great and will certainly be very helpful, you may run out of steam after the first few days of completing the drills. It may become a chore just thinking of what you have set out to do and quit by week's end. Often times, we start so gung ho/excited to get started on a plan, we put so much on our plate.

Having said that, I think the number of reps you have is in the lower end. Instead of trying to hit all muscle groups and/or an entire body workout, which will take too long and may not produce the results you want, I would try to hit specific muscle groups at a time. Low reps and hitting all the muscle groups will tone you but not increase strength. Since you state your upper body is the weakest, I would concentrate on that. Keep increasing the number of reps. That is the only way to get stronger. Inasmuch as I do use weights and it does help in increasing strength, I do not know how it affects gymnasts. So, I cannot comment on that. I would just set a reasonable routine so you can keep it up. Consistency is key.

Low reps and hitting all the muscle groups will tone you but not increase strength.

There is no such thing as "toning" a muscle. You can "condition" muscles to do more work or gain size( sarcoplasmic hypertrophy ) or you can train them to recruit motor units quickly or train them to recruit as many motor units as possible.

Alexander Sergeyevitch Prilepin's chart. AS Prilepsin was one of the premier Soviet WL coaches in the mid 70's to 80's besides being one of their reknown Sports scientists.
prilepins-chart.jpg

Keep increasing the number of reps. That is the only way to get stronger.

Not necessarily but volume can stimulate increases in strength as can repeated bouts of high intensity of max effort.

All Chalked Up, you state that you can only do a 1-2 pullups and have a pullup bar but don't program any pullups.

1. Another point in doing strength and conditioning work on your off days may impede how "fresh" you are for your practices. This also depends on what the strength and conditioning work in your workouts are. So a balance must be made.

2. Glaring faults:
a. no pullups
b. only 1 55 second HS which I may presume is how long you can hold one for. I would rather see more attempts at this or more repetitions that are less in time held.
c. more leg work. 26 pounds still is not a lot of weight and those may be dumbbells. More broad jumps and single leg squats be they a tall step-up to a box, single leg squat with the free leg in front of the body or bent at the knee behind the body. Sprints are great for this.

3. You have a pullup bar and no Hanging Leg lifts. HLL, L and V are super important strength elements for success on bars and core strength.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back