WAG conditioning vs. skills on preteam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Slightly off topic but question for the coaches out there- how do you keep the gymnasts motivated to mainly condition during sessions? I mainly coach rec and sometimes it's a struggle to get them to do 10 minutes of conditioning :rolleyes:
==
Semi annual testing, then post results for parents to see.

Strength is definitely important but my opinion is that gymnasts can do strength and stretching at home. Lots of time in the gym should be focused on drills and skills. Gymnastics does take a lot of strength but it also takes a lot of muscle memory and strength created by actually doing specific skills. Best way to work muscles and muscle memory for a pull over? Doing pullovers. For a backhandspring? By doing backhandsprings. If the class is over an hour then there is still plenty if time for strength AND for skills. Honestly though I think you should watch a whole class and talk to the coach to get an actual picture of what's going on.

I get it. That's the way it was when I was young and starting out in the sport. Sure the coach had us do some conditioning, but just enough to impress upon me that being stronger and more flexible was a worth while pursuit, and one that I took to heart. That's a big part of what got me through my early years, and most of it was done at home.

To be fair to the subject, I have to say I was 15 years old at the time, had a lengthy off season, and was the only one on my team who'd consistently work strength or flexibility other than team practice. I doubt most kids would care to work like that, and you'd be lucky to get anything more than a few specific "homework" assignment.

I get it. That's the way it was when I was young and starting out in the sport. Sure the coach had us do some conditioning, but just enough to impress upon me that being stronger and more flexible was a worth while pursuit, and one that I took to heart. That's a big part of what got me through my early years, and most of it was done at home.

To be fair to the subject, I have to say I was 15 years old at the time, had a lengthy off season, and was the only one on my team who'd consistently work strength or flexibility other than team practice. I doubt most kids would care to work like that, and you'd be lucky to get anything more than a few specific "homework" assignment.

yeah, I know that my level 1 kids mostly don't do anything at home but I guess I just kind f assume once they start moving up either they'll get serious about strength or they'll suffer the consequences. I always did strength at home and was never as strong as most of if not all my teammates so I guess I just assumed they did strength at home too.

My just turned 7 year old dd has just started what I call a pre team class, she goes once a week for 2 1/2 hours. Dd done her first session the other night and this is what they did :

Run a few laps of the gym
Stretching/ Conditioning
Bars
Beam
Some floor work (couldn't see what she was doing as she was at the back of the gym)
Run around the Gym again
Conditioning with rope climb included

Dd cannot do a pull up yet as this is something that wasn't worked on in her old rec class but she did do a pull up and pull over with a spot, she also cannot do all three splits yet - she only had her left leg front splits, I am hoping that this new class will help her gain strength and flexibility even though it is once a week, in her old rec class they did no conditioning or strength exercises.

"Strength is definitely important but my opinion is that gymnasts can do strength and stretching at home. Lots of time in the gym should be focused on drills and skills."

Yeah, because all the gymnasts I know LOVE doing a gazillion chin ups, push ups, v snaps, sit ups, leg raises, rope climbs, etc. NOT! ;-)

If you relied on my gymnast to do her strength and conditioning at home, I'm sorry, but it wouldn't get done. It's not that she doesn't have big goals, it's just that I can't think of many kids who actually enjoy it (I'm sure there are some). It's the thing kids cheat on IN class, so how could you expect them to do it properly or enough at home?

I'm very glad that my gymnast does her strength and conditioning at gym.

LOL ask my 6 year old tomorrow what her favourite thing to do is. Well actually 2nd fav - as first is oversplits. Strange child.
And even funnier the eldest had to do conditioning with the level girls the other week and I thought she would come out throwing a complete hissy fit - she said it was the best!

Our pre-team always did tons of conditioning and stretching too. I share your frustration. She is starting to compete this year but they still are not pushing the next level's skills that much. I am starting not to care so much. She is happy, and learning, so I guess we're ok.

===
No gym at home, that's our rule.

In general, I agree. But there are some circumstances where it would be beneficial. One of my DD has some hypermobility issues and "low tone," so she probably could stand to do some strengthening at home since they can't do much 1:1 at the gym.

Well, I watched an entire practice for the first time in months. They did work on plenty of skills, although my daughter told me afterwards that it was the first time in weeks that they'd done most of the skills. If anything, there was actually *less* conditioning than I expected to see, not more. In general, everything seemed to have been watered down. There was more standing around doing nothing than I'd ever seen before, and the more intense conditioning that I was used to seeing before I quit watching practice was absent. I guess the next step is to ask the coach what the plans are re. level progression and competing next year. Not looking forward to that conversation!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back