MAG Confidence shaken

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, I have never had to even think about this with D, but was hit with it today. He had a great state meet, but in the last week, seems to be sliding. He is struggling with skills that he has done all year. And he just seems defeated. Last week he just maintained, working the same stuff. This week he started adding a few new skills, and that helped, but some are still missing/lacking. He has one week until regionals, and just seems to be down right now. I am going to chalk it up to a rough workout, and a "post-spring-break hangover" for now and hope that it goes away and my hard-working, happy-go-lucky kiddo bounces back!

Maybe he just ran out of "great days" and needs to wait until the net batch of magic materializes out of thin air (also known as fundamentals and dills).

I hope the normal D comes back soon! I'm hoping that our ski trip along with a week away from the gym will help my ds get excited about gym again.

So, I have never had to even think about this with D, but was hit with it today. He had a great state meet, but in the last week, seems to be sliding. He is struggling with skills that he has done all year. And he just seems defeated. Last week he just maintained, working the same stuff. This week he started adding a few new skills, and that helped, but some are still missing/lacking. He has one week until regionals, and just seems to be down right now. I am going to chalk it up to a rough workout, and a "post-spring-break hangover" for now and hope that it goes away and my hard-working, happy-go-lucky kiddo bounces back!

takes 3-5 days to recover from competition. don't be concerned. lactic acid and adrenaline wreak havoc on the body post competition and the body 'comes down" if you will. he'll be okay.

He had such a breakout performance at states that I'm not surprised he was a little off afterwards! (And glad to hear that, Dunno, as it helps to explain the awfulness of that awful pbars workout our guys had last week.) Hopefully next week he will start pumping himself up for the last one -- for our guys, the golden prospect of uptraining and new skills is dangling in front of them, so they are all feeling really motivated to finish off with a bang and move on to the next thing.

I also hope he's not coming down with something! On both the boys' and girls' sides, it's been plague central for the last two weeks by us.

Thanks guys. I do think he has something lingering...there is a cough and runny nose. Plus they had state testing, then he had state, then spring break. His coach was gone for 10 days, and is back, so there is a lot going on. He is missing practice tonight for the school talent show. maybe just a case of having too much going on right now. He did say he is excited for the end of the season so he can start working on new skills. He has a list :)

My boys are both absolutely UNEXCITED about regionals - but both are really enjoying up-training. DS the younger did finally get his kip this week, though so they are still working their L5 stuff. DS older who is on fire with new strength and skills had an absolute melt down a couple of days ago (partially because a friend tumbled into his face and tore all the inside of his lip - darn braces)...said he was "starving and I couldn't do anything at all the last 45 minutes of practice" This after spending 3 hours at an open gym then a 3 hour practice.....(had a break in between). I haven't seen him this emotional is awhile. I think when they are on a roll any little bad day can shake the confidence....

I'm sure your DS will bounce back quickly!

Nope. Although now I wouldn't call it confidence. It is just la-ti-da. I think it is just him. He told me today (unprompted ;)) Mom, I really want to win, but if I don't, I'll be ok. That is a great attitude. We talked about just focusing more, adn listening more (in all parts of life...not just gym!)

So, mom needs to relax (HA) and just let D do his thing I guess :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back